Topping Off / Space between

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessegarrison

Reaction score
I'm working on two 1 gallon batches. I just racked them and have a bit of space between the juice and the lid.

1. How much room should I leave between the juice and the top?
2. If I fill it with new juice should I add more yeast / sugar / nutrients etc.
3. If I add more juice and nutrients do I need to rack it again in 2-3 weeks?
4. Once the 1 gallon carboy is topped off do I leave the airlock on still?

Note: I used Bernie's Best Organic Cider for this round.

Thank you and I look forward to learning a lot in this forum!

Jesse
San Francisco

I don't top off unless the top of the liquid is close to the widest part of the carboy and it seems like too much surface area on the liquid. However if I feel it necessary to top off I just use cider (or juice) without additional yeast, nutrient, sugar or anything else

Oh and I leave my airlock on through the whole process. If its in the carboy the airlock is on, unless I'm siphoning or something

Thank you!

What do you do with the couple inches of juice that is left over from the primary stage that has some juice and mostly lee's ( I think they are called)?

jessegarrison said:
Thank you!

What do you do with the couple inches of juice that is left over from the primary stage that has some juice and mostly lee's ( I think they are called)?

I stir it all up and add it to my next stew broth, but that's not everyone's cup o tea (stew in this case I guess). If i dont do that it goes to the compost with the rest of the lees. And I have heard it called lees, dregs, yeast sediment, along with some less proper sounding names as well.

Back