Top up height and timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsbeckton

Reaction score
After 5 days of primary in a bucket I transferred my kit wine to a 6G carboy and it leveled off slightly above the shoulder but there is still space in there. If I top up now to get it closer to the bung that will remove most of the air but will leave me with not much headspace for degassing.

Should I leave the space there for another 2 weeks or so before I degass it and then top up? I have tried using a wine whip with just an inch or two of space and it flows out. On the other hand all of the demo videos I have seen show the level much lower near the shoulder like mine currently is so I was wondering if that is good enough or if they are toping up AFTER degassing?

I typically degas before I top off. The way I look at it is if you are degassing, put the bung in and let the foam subside, its going to continue to push Co2 out of solution. Once its not degassing any more... NEXT DAY. I then top off if necessary.

Back