Top tips for new winemaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a 5+ year homebrewer. I've decided to give wine a try. I have ordered a WineExpert kit from MoreWine. I plan to use my 6 gallon glass caroboy that I don't use anymore to ferment in. (I have a 7 gallon conical and a fermentation chamber, but was planning to keep those open for beer while the wine ferments.) I'm an all grain brewer. I would guestimate my experience level as medium to advanced.

I'm not expecting you all to teach me how to ferment wine, but I'm wondering if you all have some top tips that I'm not going to figure out from reading the instructions that come with the kit?

A fermenting bucket would be much better to start with. The carboy can be used for secondary and aging.

Also, the biggest tip I can give you is to triple or even quadruple the times in the instructions. Everything else is good.

The home wine making scene has changed a lot in the nearly 40 years I've been engaged in the hobby, and it continues to evolve. The kits that are popular provide a very straight forward and reasonably easy way to produce good wines. But the best advice is to not rush things.

Follow the directions closely EXCEPT for the timing. Two weeks in fermenter (plastic buckets are fine, but sealed with an airlock), followed by racking to a carboy for settling, stabilizing (stopping fermentation) and clarification which will take at LEAST 2-4 weeks. Take it slow. The wine will be drinkable and safe to bottle, but don't do it. Rack it to a clean carboy and let it age in bulk in a cool, dark location: whites for 1-2 months, reds on oak 3-6 months or MORE before bottling. After bottling, wait 6-8 weeks before opening.

It might seem ridiculous but trust me, your patience will be rewarded. It also helps to have friends who drink a lot of wine as a source for empty bottles. The downside is they expect them to be returned full!

With time and experience you'll refine your techniques and gain a deeper appreciation and respect for wine. Just be careful with the carboys!

Brooo Brother

I'll have to work on my patience! I have known all along that wine takes some time to finish up. It's actually one of the reasons I've avoided doing it for so long.

I actually think I have a larger wine bucket with an airlock port somewhere in storage. I'll have to dig that out and see if it is in ok shape.

I'll have to work on my patience! I have known all along that wine takes some time to finish up. It's actually one of the reasons I've avoided doing it for so long.

I actually think I have a larger wine bucket with an airlock port somewhere in storage. I'll have to dig that out and see if it is in ok shape.

Buckets are good for fermentation IF they aren't scratched or otherwise damaged. You can ruin a $100-$180 kit before it ever get it bottled. Every process is "cold side" so you have to be absolutely anal about cleaning and sanitizing. Oxidation is another big concern. Other than that, remember that patience is a virtue. Making good, drinkable wine is easier than beer, is a little more forgiving than brewing, takes longer and can be a lot more expensive for ingredients.

I actually got into beer brewing long after I started making wine. I still have a bottle sitting near a wine rack that I made in 1975, and didn't make beer until the 90s. Both are great hobbies that get shared with many friends and family members. Plus it keeps me out of bars.

Brooo Brother

Experiment with some non-kit types -- cherry, concorde grape, yadda yadda. The world is Your Oyster!

Cheers :cool:

I don't know that a kit provides any learning curve. It's a lot like using a cook book that comes with ingredients. You don't really learn the underlying processes (why you do what you do). I would think that the easiest way to teach yourself wine making is to get a gallon of fruit juice from your supermarket.

Measure the gravity. It'll be around 1.040 - 1.050. If that is enough then remove some of the liquid and pitch the yeast. If you are looking for a wine rather than a cider then up the gravity to 1.090 with table sugar.

After two weeks or so measure the gravity and if it is around 1.000 rack it into another container (carboy?) and add a bung and airlock (note that I never suggested adding an airlock to the juice. You can cover that loosely with a lid or even some cloth). Allow the wine to age a month or two. Is it too dry for you? Stabilize and bench test to add sweetener.
Is it too blah? Not enough acidity? You might add some lemon juice or malic or tartaric acid or a blend of acids.

Does the wine have enough tannins? If yes, OK. If not you might add some oak cubes and monitor over the next couple of weeks (a bit like dry hopping). For your next batch you might want to add some tannins before you pitch the yeast (a cup of black tea is sometimes used as are tannins from grapes or chestnuts.

What about viscosity (mouthfeel)? Some yeasts add glycerols and they add viscosity. Some residual sugars add viscosity.

Is there enough fruity flavor? If enough , OK, but sometimes the flavor is thin. You may want /need to add more fruit to the secondary and use the alcohol to extract flavor and color.

Is the wine bright and clear? If it is, fine, but if it is cloudy then you may need to degas to remove CO2; you may need to use fining agents to force particles to drop out of suspension; some of the suspended particles might be pectins so next time you may want to add pectic enzymes to break down those pectins before you pitch the yeast.

I'm a contrarian. As a brewer you likely brewed batches 5 gallons or more but if you make single gallons of wine and you make them regularly you can acquire 5 lessons using the same volume as you made as a brewer. Wine can take about an hour or less to get everything up and rolling.
Good luck!

For kit making-just follow the instructions, and if you plan to age in the bottle longer than 6 months, buy some good corks, not just the cheap t-top plastic ones ...

I'd recommend a decent wine whip to degas, not just shaking.

Lastly, practice your siphoning technique and make sure to top up with a similar wine when in the carboy...all the way to the neck.
Happy winemaking!

Recipes, equipment, and tricks aside, I think the most useful tip for a new winemaker is to make than your main carboy can hold, along with starting it in a bucket. Have a couple extra bottles on hand that you can fit your racking game into and an airlock on. put the extra in that so you have stuff to top off with after racking. These 6gal wine kits kind of elude to that, since people don’t usually have 6gal carboys.

Back