top came off my Firestone keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
The top of one of my kegs came off. I was surprised to find that the whole top is apparently just glued on. I would have expected some metal reinforcement to be welded to the keg under the rubber. I actually like the keg this way because it seems cleaner, but I can't pick it up now when it is full. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?

1436823872015.jpg

I have a keg that I got like that. It is storing a mead from around 2007, so I don't handle it often at all though, but I have to pick it up by the bottom and support the top to move it around.

What I have done for other kegs where the bottom or top rubber piece has peeled off, I just use gorilla glue, add pressure, clean up excess, and that is good enough for me. You can also use JB weld, as I would think that would be pretty strong, or epoxy like the above poster. I just had gorilla glue on hand, and it worked well enough for me!

Unfortunately I cut the top up with a utility knife because I assumed that there were metal handles inside the rubber. I guess I could silver solder something on it but I don't know where I would get a SS handle.

Unfortunately I cut the top up with a utility knife because I assumed that there were metal handles inside the rubber. I guess I could silver solder something on it but I don't know where I would get a SS handle.

Hmmm, maybe just JB weld some inexpensive metal handles, or something to the outside. I wouldn't think you would need SS. I would still support it from the bottom when full, but they would give you something to hold to steady it or lift it.

A 2 part epoxy was the answer. Oh well... ;)

HB'ers are pretty resourceful. I'm sure you'll come up with something. Or maybe it just got relegated to your LLC container??

Too bad - at the very least, there are folks that would have paid dear money for a full rubber top ;)

I would think any respectable metal shop could fabricate and weld on a handle, the question is how much one would be willing to pay...

Cheers!

dont know if you want to go through the trouble of this or not but you could make some handles out of 1/2 or 3/4 rigid copper pipe flatten the pipe with a hammer then put the bends in it and silver solder it to the top of the keg. lot of work but should work great

It turns out that it is not that bad picking it up with one hand on the bottom. It's actually sort of easier, when lifting it up into my fermkeezer.

It turns out that it is not that bad picking it up with one hand on the bottom. It's actually sort of easier, when lifting it up into my fermkeezer.

You must have an upright?

I have a chest freezer and keg handles are a must...

Nope, chest freezer. It's easier to lift kegs over the collar with a hand on the bottom vs two hands at the top holding the handles.

Back