Top 4 most popular styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WahHooJames

Reaction score
I would like some opinion as to the top 4 most popular styles out right now. Not given market, time, accessibility, etc.

Just looking for generality. Want to keep 4 beers on tap that fit the palette of the general public.

I'm guessing
light lager/pilsner
Wheat beer/hefe
bock
(here's where I'm lost) red, brown, etc

Based on what I see in these forums, it seems like the following:

Hefeweizen
IPA
Fruit Beer
Red Ale

Three of those could appeal to people who don't like beer. I'll leave it up to you to decide which :)

For home-brewers: just check all the total-posts replies count, and ratings in the recipe section.

Beer Advocate only seems to rate IPA's and IIPA's highly, and leaves everything else as an after-thought.

I would have to say:
a nice "session beer" light or flavorful Ale,
Wheat
IPA
something darker heavier

For the general public (which was your point), Brooklyn pretty much nailed it: light lager, pale lager, whatever lager, BMC BMC BMC Weizen. (just exaggerating for effect - not starting another BMC discourse)

American wheat beer maybe, but not hefweizen. Almost most people I know despise them. Also dont think bock makes the list.

I would say it is seasonally dependent. I dont' drink a lot of lager in winter and I don't drink a lot of stout in the summer. But, I always have an american pale/amber/brown, an IPA, and then a few others (like I said, lagers and wheat beers in summer and heavier beers in winter). If you are thinking about what to share its always good to have something to open peoples horizons some, like a Belgian.

My picks in no particular order:

light lager - but could include kolsch and cream ale
wit bier - think blue moon and hoegaarden
pale ale - I think most people on HBT like IPA, but most of the general public likes less of a face melt
brown/porter/stout - not sure which, but think session beers and irish ales

I think it's going to depend on what demographic you're looking at, if it's "civilians" it's going to probably be something like, the first three being "Light American Lager, Standard American Lager, Premium American Lager," And then probably wit, due to the popularity of Blue Moon, or a wheat.

But probably for beer geeks, homebrewers, it's going to be something like IPAs, Hefes, stouts and barleywines (or maybe IIPAs.)

I agree that this is seasonally dependent. In the summer months, think lawnmower ales. In the winter, something a bit more robust. In our household, SWMBO and i consume the following:

Year round- IPA (75-90% of consumption)
Autumn through Christmas- spiced, malt forward beers (pumpkin/winter warmer)
Winter- Saison and Belgian strong ales
Summer- Sours (Geuezes, Berliner Weissen, Flanders Reds, etc.)

We're not much for pilseners or lagers.

Back