Top 3 base grains to store in bulk discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was stocking up, i'd go 800lb's pale malt, 100 pounds 40L crystal, and probably something like 400-500 lb's light munich....
100# crystal 40L??? That seems like a lot compared to only 800# pale.

Also... Mr Monopoly here pays for roasted malt!! What happened to toasting your own!!??!!
(I only tease!! Plus i read somewhere he bracc roasts his own now, right?)

Golden Promise
Weyermann or Best Pils for me
Rahr or Great Western 2 Row

Those are my favorites but currently not stocked by my local. He is carrying Briess (least favorite), Avangard, and Swaen. Avangard isn't Weyermann no doubt, and I have never tried Swaen anything. I've never had the opportunity to try Barke. All work, but are not my first choices obviously. I usually buy 5 sacks at the end of each year. I usually travel and buy in Indy as they have everything. I'm trying to support the local here as much as possible. He will special order, so I'll get a couple sacks of GP. I find it is worth the $$. I need malt now, so I'll get what he has this weekend. I wish I could find a comparable domestic pilsner. Anyone have any suggestions on domestic pilsner? I've also read good things about Briess Full Pint. I've not used Briess in 10 years +. I'm going to see about ordering a sack of FP and rolling the dice.

Ahh. Must be an LD Carlson shop. The only things that supplier stocks that you can't get cheaper elsewhere are garbage (like Avangard). Swaen is.... different. I don't have much experience, but my buddy did a side by side run with their malts and there's a different character running through all of em that neither of us were wild about.

Ahh. Must be an LD Carlson shop. The only things that supplier stocks that you can't get cheaper elsewhere are garbage (like Avangard). Swaen is.... different. I don't have much experience, but my buddy did a side by side run with their malts and there's a different character running through all of em that neither of us were wild about.
Thanks, I'll skip the Swaen then. This is why I always would buy in Indy. I can get everything else local, but NOT the main ingredient. I haven't worked near there in order to make a stock up stop. I've always disliked Briess and prefer the other domestics. I really miss Rebel Brewer when they were in Nashville. I liked buying the years stock in one pop. Maybe the best option is mail order in the 10# lots for free freight.

100# crystal 40L??? That seems like a lot compared to only 800# pale.

Also... Mr Monopoly here pays for roasted malt!! What happened to toasting your own!!??!!
(I only tease!! Plus i read somewhere he bracc roasts his own now, right?)

say like 15lb's pale, 2 lb's crystal 40L, depending on how 'dark' my mood is 8oz's 1lb of munich? sounds good. and munich will work as a base malt, throw in some crystal 40?

and i just did the math, i guess that would be 15 months of malt. but when i have friends drive someplace with a bigger homrew shop like MoreBeer in SF, or tucson here, i try to get them to pick me up 6-8 bags of pale....it's like half price.

and no i can't roast really dark grain, too much smoke in the house? any ideas?

Let's just say our friend @bracconiere has oft let us know he's a truly prolific brewer of all things alcoholic and might rival some nano breweries for throughput :D

Cheers!

the monks of old had a 5 liter a day allowance. just trying to be a good holy man! and gregor mendel(SP?) was a monk, and he liked peas too!

It's getting a bit hard to find these days. Adventures in Homebrew has a steady supply and the Bell's brewery store tends to have 1lb bags available in the spring.

I will take a look. Thanks for the heads up. My LHBS had it on hand and was out of something common I needed used it on a suggestion and was hooked. Shortly after they stopped carrying it as no one bought it...

But for me the dark fruit current taste you get is incredible in brown ales as well as my Baltic porter.

Golden Promise
Weyermann or Best Pils for me
Rahr or Great Western 2 Row

Those are my favorites but currently not stocked by my local. He is carrying Briess (least favorite), Avangard, and Swaen. Avangard isn't Weyermann no doubt, and I have never tried Swaen anything. I've never had the opportunity to try Barke. All work, but are not my first choices obviously. I usually buy 5 sacks at the end of each year. I usually travel and buy in Indy as they have everything. I'm trying to support the local here as much as possible. He will special order, so I'll get a couple sacks of GP. I find it is worth the $$. I need malt now, so I'll get what he has this weekend. I wish I could find a comparable domestic pilsner. Anyone have any suggestions on domestic pilsner? I've also read good things about Briess Full Pint. I've not used Briess in 10 years +. I'm going to see about ordering a sack of FP and rolling the dice.

I am a huge fan of great western pilsner malt. I would be buying that but after all the barke suggestions I have to give it a try.

say like 15lb's pale, 2 lb's crystal 40L, depending on how 'dark' my mood is 8oz's 1lb of munich? sounds good. and munich will work as a base malt, throw in some crystal 40?

and i just did the math, i guess that would be 15 months of malt. but when i have friends drive someplace with a bigger homrew shop like MoreBeer in SF, or tucson here, i try to get them to pick me up 6-8 bags of pale....it's like half price.

and no i can't roast really dark grain, too much smoke in the house? any ideas?

Pizza oven.

if anything a home coffee roaster...not sure how much smoke they produce though?

i have no idea, i have thought about growing my own grain and malting but if i go down that route i am going to quit my job buy more land near me and go all in on a pizza brew pub / homebrew shop.

I tend to go all in on things 0 to 100 and no end in sight type of deal.

Back