tootsie roll ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cracked one open and I've never tasted anything like it before. Good head, taste, color, and smells like tootsie rolls as well as tastes like them too. It is more than a hint its like drinking a tootsie roll but that is what I was aiming for.

The recipe is on the first page. Except add chocolate extract and vanilla extract to taste. Split up the malt extract with tootsie rolls. I used around 2 lbs with 3.3 lbs of light malt extract. I used 1.5 oz of willamette hops and half a can of cocoa powder with ten minutes left in the boil and 1/3 of a whirlfloc tablet. You can use Irish moss as well. Just taste it after primary and secondary. Adjust the beer to taste. My beer taste like it is going to be strong but then it mellows completely out and tastes like tootsie rolls at the end. It has a tootsie roll aroma as well. I also steeped 8 oz of 60L carmel malt mixed with rolled oats before the boil. Just look on the first page at the ingredients because I may be wrong on the oz of hops and malt

So I thought I was pretty original with my idea I had tonight, but here this is.

I wasn't aiming for a tootsie roll ale, but I happened to go out and buy tootsie rolls for my brew since I read they are heavy in maltrose, and I was making an extract red ale that already had a touch of chocolate in it. I also added 2lbs of honey, and 2lbs of cane sugar...while only having about 30 tootsie rolls in it. I -just- capped the fermentation bucket though, and we'll see how this turns out!

Flike01 said:
So I thought I was pretty original with my idea I had tonight, but here this is.

I wasn't aiming for a tootsie roll ale, but I happened to go out and buy tootsie rolls for my brew since I read they are heavy in maltrose, and I was making an extract red ale that already had a touch of chocolate in it. I also added 2lbs of honey, and 2lbs of cane sugar...while only having about 30 tootsie rolls in it. I -just- capped the fermentation bucket though, and we'll see how this turns out!

Sounds interesting keep us updated

So far so good! The airlock is bubblin' like a mofo :)

I'll try to post when I move to secondary!

How much vanilla did you add at bottling? Since the taste mellows out, Im concerned about adding too much or too little!

I would think the fats are going to kill the head retention in a non-AG beer. I've used a pound of Hershey's kisses before, but mashed them so that the grain would soak up most of the fats. Interested to see how this turns out.

Did that have the intended effect?

How did this taste, in the end?

My Tootsie Red turned out pretty well.

One thing I really didn't like is the excess fat sat with the yeast trub at the bottom of the bottles, so you had to be extra careful not to stir them around when pouring because the only thing worse than a mouthful of yeast is probably a mouthful of congealed fat in your beer.

The chocolate taste didn't really ring through too much, and it just turned into more of an imperial red (I had it gauged around 9%-10%). The tootsie rolls really shined through in the aroma though. The beer smelled just like a tootsie roll, which was a pretty cool novelty of it :)

People loved it.

Latest posts

Back