tootsie roll ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcsteeler

Reaction score
I'm going to start brewing a scotch ale but not a strong one. I want to make it a tootsie roll ale and I am not sure when to add or how much. I was going to only put half the malt extract as usual and half tootsie rolls. with them being mostly sugar Im afraid there will be little taste and the rolls will turn into alcohol. I planned on boiling them into the wort or even just making the scotch ale and dissolving the rolls into water and adding the syrup into the secondary or before bottling. I'm making a 5 gallon batch and any suggestions will help.

i'll bite.... on second thought, i'll just stay tuned to this thread cuz i have no idea how to add tootsie rolls to a beer. i'd think secondary would be the place to add something like that, but like i said, i have no clue.

Sounds interesting.. I'll also venture to say adding them to the secondary is your best bet. Keep us posted!

Well I work at a brewery in titusville pa not as a brewer but I am good friends with the brewer and he just brewed a snickers stoudt. He added nesquick at the end to get a more chocolate flavor

well, you have an advantage there, man. talk to the brewer at your work about his ideas on the subject. seems he has some experience in adding things like that to a beer and making candy-like brews, so his insight should get ya pointed in the right direction, at least.

I'm thinking there is probably some type of wax in tootsie rolls that might have some weird effects on the beer. I would add the tootsie rolls to the last couple minutes of the boil. then if you have any weird goop it can be strained out.

He said he would go lighter on the extract and the rest tootsie rolls. Then he said taste it before bottling and adjust my taste likings but he isn't sure either. Also I'm not sure if all that sugar if I add it before bottling will screw up the yeast.

I think you'll want to chew them up and spit the juice into the FV.

Same person here from the tootsie roll beer from earlier. I plan on brewing a tootsie roll scotch ale but not a strong one. I plan on adding tootsie rolls but not sure when I should add or how much to add. I was going to cut down on the extract and go half and half between extract and tootsie rolls. Then when its in the secondary add tootsie rolls or maybe before bottling. I'd just melt them down in some water and add to taste before bottling. I might even add nesquick. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm just afraid cause tootsie rolls are mostly sugar and I don't want a huge dose of alcohol and no tootsie taste.

Well I work at a brewery in titusville pa not as a brewer but I am good friends with the brewer and he just brewed a snickers stoudt. He added nesquick at the end to get a more chocolate flavor

There's a dairy up in Titusville PA that has the greatest cottage cheese I've ever eaten.

So, the OP has a rotating account, but I'll post this here for other members in case there is any interest.

Tootsie Rolls can be melted in a double boiler, and after that they can be treated like LME, I would guess. If put in after flame out, they are likely to keep most of whatever flavor you're trying to keep.

There are recipes out there on the Internet for making your own Tootsie Rolls, here's one:
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp softened butter
3/4 cup powdered milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 cups powdered sugar

Makes 80-100

From that, one could estimate the OG contribution, and adjust a base recipe down to compensate. I would suspect that the hops balance would be really, really tricky.

That said, I think the way to recreate the flavor of the rolls the OP is looking for is probably to use unsweetened chocolate at the end of the boil, and maybe lactose instead of the rolls themselves. Then, add some vanilla extract at bottling (mixed in the cooled priming sugar).

If you are bottle conditioning, you need to be very careful adding any sugar sources to the bottles, especially sources you may not completely know. I'm just jumping into this without even thinking about the other potential issues of adding tootsie rolls to a brew. Viewing it as strictly a sugar source, I would add either to the boil or secondary, but not to the bottling process.

Not many people prime with fruit juices/syrups/etc because the sugar levels are hard to anticipate and calculate. I guess you could make a tootsie roll "slurry" and take the gravity. You could then do some krausening-like calculations to use it as a priming source.

Good Luck

What do you mean by a slurry? I would think to do the half extract half tootsie rolls would work. Then maybe add some vanilla to the priming sugar and a little ovaltine or nesquick but not much

I brewed my tootsie roll ale and its fermenting right now. If any of you guys have any input or questions just ask me. I wanted to share the recipe if any of you guys wanna experiment.

I first steeped
8 oz dark caramel malt
Cup of oats. At 150 for half hour.

Next I turned the flame on took out the grains and poured 1 can of light malt extract and a bag of the 400 count tootsie rolls. I stirred well brought to a rolling boil and added 1.75 oz of willaimette hops.

Kept boiling and with 15 minutes left I added 1/3 of a whirlfloc tablet for clearing and 5 minutes after that I added a half a can of cocoa powder and boiled for 10 minutes. Then I cooled down and added britsh ale yeast for fermentation. Anyone have any thoughts how its going to turn out? I did a 5 gallon batch and before bottling I'm going to add a tablespoon of vanilla or more. Any suggestions for next time will help.

Yeah it smelled like tootsie rolls. It became really chocolatey once adding the cocoa powder. That's why I plan on adding the vanilla so those flavors mellow out to a similar tootsie roll taste

ForumRunner_20120206_125521.jpg

ForumRunner_20120206_125501.jpg

Definitely. I tried searching around but couldn't find anyone who has tried it. I guess I will see how it turns out

Damn, how difficult was it to remove the dissolved wrappers from pouring in them from the bag?

:)

edit: damn I just realized my joke is null because you posted a picture of them unwrapped. Oh well.

I would think the fats are going to kill the head retention in a non-AG beer. I've used a pound of Hershey's kisses before, but mashed them so that the grain would soak up most of the fats. Interested to see how this turns out.

I didn't have much trouble with oils cause tootsie rolls seem to be fermentable and not a whole lot of fat in them. I skimmed most oil off what I could see.

Well I bottled it today and it tasted like tootsie rolls even after not conditioning yet. I think I nailed it

Well I bottled it today and it tasted like tootsie rolls even after not conditioning yet. I think I nailed it

Dude, do me a major solid and post everything you got on this recipe please...i love tootsie rolls and i am really geeked about this assuming that wne you pop the first top you feel like ur sucking on a melted tootsie roll

Now, when you say it tastes like tootsie rolls, does it have a profile or is ot just like drinking tootsie rolls?

This would be an interesting try for maybe 1 or 2 beers if it's just a tootsie roll profile. Hope it turns out well. If you end up posting the recipe I may try with a small batch.

I will post up the recipe in a few days and it tasted like tootsie rolls but it was beer. It has more of a tootsie roll taste than just a slight because I added chocolate extract and vanilla extract into the priming sugar before bottling. I just did it to taste before bottling basically. Other key steps are involved but it tasted great even before conditioned or carbonated. I'm just waiting to post up the recipe just in case the bottles blow up or something but I only used sugar in the tootsie rolls so I don't think they will blow.

I opened one to see if it was carbonated yet but its not quite. The taste is literally like sucking on a tootsie roll and I even drank the whole thing barely carbonated because it tastes so good

I love experiential recipes like these. What was the OG/FG for this?

Also I am curious what the oats were for, because I know that unless they are mashed with a base malt like 2-row they do not contribute body to the wort.

I would think a late addition of orange zest would be good since toostie rolls have orange oil in them.

Bradinator said:
I love experiential recipes like these. What was the OG/FG for this?

Also I am curious what the oats were for, because I know that unless they are mashed with a base malt like 2-row they do not contribute body to the wort.

The oats were for to give a little creaminess to the overall taste. I steeped them with the malt

dmckean44 said:
I would think a late addition of orange zest would be good since toostie rolls have orange oil in them.

Yeah maybe next time I will do that I never thought about that

So? I know its only been like a week but have you tested another bottle yet? You know, i would imagine a draft version of this poured thru a stout faucet would be amazing.

My girlfriend keeps asking if you've posted the recipe yet...that never happens!!!!!!!

nduetime said:
My girlfriend keeps asking if you've posted the recipe yet...that never happens!!!!!!!

Haha I'm not posting it until its complety done so I can see how the flavors turn out once conditioned. It was good after a week of being bottled but I opened one a few days ago and its starting to condition so now I'm just waiting

tcsteeler1993 said:
Haha I'm not posting it until its complety done so I can see how the flavors turn out once conditioned. It was good after a week of being bottled but I opened one a few days ago and its starting to condition so now I'm just waiting

Ok fair enough...if you're not willing to share recipe until complete, do you think you can speed up this thing called time?!?!? I'm gonna assume that your answer is like everyone else I ask (no), so I suppose I'll make every attempt to practice that thing called patients. Just remember my girlfried is anxiouslly waiting, I'm not sure how much longer I can hold her off!

Latest posts

Back