Tootin my own horn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I received a call on Saturday night from the Maryland Microbrewery Festival. It turns out both beers I turned into the competition placed! My peanut butter porter took 2nd place in the specialty competition and my American IPA took 1st! That it being that it took first it was put into the best of show competition. Which it won as well! The greatest and coolest news of all is, the winner of best of show get their beer brewed in a real brewery and distributed to local Buffalo Wild Wings and local liquor stores! My homebrew is gonna be on the shelves!! I'm still blown away and can't stop thinking about it. Anyways....cheers

That's cool man. Any idea what it's going to be labeled as and when it will be available? I'll keep an eye out for it.

That's freaking awesome! I've got two competitions coming up this month and I'm really excited about it. I'm actually judging in one of them this coming weekend, so I should be able to find out my results that day. The other one is an MCAB qualifier so... fingers crossed. When is your beer going to be available for purchase and who is brewing it? Cheers! :mug:

Dog Brewing Company in Westminster Maryland is brewing it. It should be available in January. The name of the beer is Columbus sailed the 7 C's. It will only be distributed in Maryland. They said I get to work with them designing a label too! It should be a great experience

Congrats, I'm in Maryland and I'll definitely give your beer a shot. any idea when it'll be out? I'd assume sometime next year.

Matt3989 said:
Congrats, I'm in Maryland and I'll definitely give your beer a shot. any idea when it'll be out? I'd assume sometime next year.

January

image-3274859862.jpg

image-2776970305.jpg

60 minute boil.

Yeast: wyeast Irish ale

Prinary: 7 days of fermentation . Ambient temp 70

Secondary: racked onto 2 jars of chocolate peanut butter PB2. Sat for 7 more days in secondary then added 1 1/2 teaspoons of Watkins peanut butter extract. Sat 5 more days. Then bottled at 12th day.

Notes: it's friggin delicious

sonofgrok said:
That is radtastic. You should act all snobby and refuse to give them the recipe.

I'm no snob. I would give you some beers if you were near by. I'd rather trade though

I'm no snob. I would give you some beers if you were near by. I'd rather trade though

this is why i love the people associated with this hobby and craft. you win a 1st place award and best of show PLUS your having your recipe brewed commercially and yet you still let us in on your award winning recipe!

thx a bunch ive been looking for a really good PB porter/stout recently and i think this is it!!
much appreciation :mug::mug::mug:

EDIT: ive seen those screenshots before. what app is that? id love to carry around recipes with me as well as formulating on the go!

That's awesome. SWMBO brought home 2 jars of PB2 the other day and beer was the first thing that jumped into my head as it has so much of the oil removed. Cool to see someone had the stones to actually do it!

How's the foam stability on that?

It's BrewPal. I think I paid $2 for it. It's a great app. I use it for every brew. I tried using beersmith on my computer and it was just confusing. This app is so easy to use and simple. I bought it when it first came out and it was a little rough but now it's the best thing since sliced bread

Brewskii said:
That's awesome. SWMBO brought home 2 jars of PB2 the other day and beer was the first thing that jumped into my head as it has so much of the oil removed. Cool to see someone had the stones to actually do it!

How's the foam stability on that?

The foam turned out ok. It completely gone by the end of the glass. But it holds up ok

I wonder if replacing a pound or two of the base with more dextrin would do any good with that. Hmmm.., I may give this one a go. Might be just the thing for the holidays(?).

It's BrewPal. I think I paid $2 for it. It's a great app. I use it for every brew. I tried using beersmith on my computer and it was just confusing. This app is so easy to use and simple. I bought it when it first came out and it was a little rough but now it's the best thing since sliced bread

Did you hit the numbers on the recipe post? The app and beersmith are both giving me 1.074 as an OG

Just wondering your mash schedule also
thx again!

No, I didn't hit my efficiency. My OG was 1.060 and I finished at 1.010

Did your beer come out? Any pics of the label? Would love to know what a 1st place ipa looks like if u can share the recipe :)

Back