Took your advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicis

Reaction score
I spent all afternoon going to the nearest home brew stores (75 miles), and did got as much info as I could. First store the clerk was just on his very first every brew. :( Second store I did get a clerk who's been brewing for a while but he kept yawning and every time he did that he emitted a strong odor of alcohol (I bet it was beer) :)

I have decided to get a 15 gallon pot so I can get (2) 5 gallon kegs to put in the kegerator.

1) Will this guarantee I get at least ten gallons?

2) I am told I will need a propane burner as this is way too big for the stove top?

3) Whats your favorite manufacture of pots?

Or any other suggestions is good. This looks like the most important purchase.

Thanks guys

Second store I did get a clerk who's been brewing for a while but he kept yawning and every time he did that he emitted a strong odor of alcohol (I bet it was beer) :)

It's a good thing you can't smell the rest of us...

15 gallon pot is good for a 10 gallon batch...I can't guarantee anything about your own ability to make a 10 gallon batch.

You'd probably need a propane burner, just for the clearance of the pot...15 gallons is pretty big (I use one as well)...and if you have a microwave over the stove...well you get the idea. It also comes to a boil faster, and you don't get droplets on your ceiling.

With brands, that's all on you. Take a look at what you can afford, what you want, and what you need. Sleep on it, then decide. Take a look at various online vendors. Ask around. If I could do it again, I would get a boil kettle with just a valve and sight-glass. I have one with a thermometer attached and I never need to use the damn thing. It's either boiling, or it's not. And when wort chilling, you can tell just by touching the pot whether or not it is ready. Instead get a good digital waterproof thermometer, because you can use it everywhere. It's fun to have stuff attached to your pot...but I think it's more useful if you were using a pot for a temperature controlled mash.

I think your thread title is a little miss leading, if I remember most of the advice you got was along the lines of "Do some reading and research before you start grabbing equipment".
;)

You should be able to wind up with a ten gallon batch from a 15 gallon boil, but there are no guarantees, it will depend on your boil off, recipe, etc... But it will be easier with a 15 gal. pot then a 5 gal. pot :D

Best of luck

Blichmann is the ferrari of brew pots. You can go with a keggle too. As the previous poster said do some research and decide what you want versus what you can afford.

Cheers

Blichmann is the ferrari of brew pots. You can go with a keggle too. As the previous poster said do some research and decide what you want versus what you can afford.

Cheers

There is also always the aluminum pots from Home Depot and Lowes if you can find them. Picked up a 15 gallon for under $50.

I think your thread title is a little miss leading, if I remember most of the advice you got was along the lines of "Do some reading and research before you start grabbing equipment".
;)
A few said to visit the homebrew stores. This would at least be under "research" yes. :)

Teromous, your point is well taken, better outside or in the garage boiling all this. Besides my wife will want me OUT not making a mess and taking up room (go to the garage husband). :)

Anyone regret buying pots with thin walls? I will look at pots and a burner. Then I feel the rest of the tools will be easy.

Thank you much for the replies!!!

Find yourself a 15.5 gallon sanke keg and build a keggle. I got my keg for $30 and some hardware for around $35 and now I have an awesome BK! You can sometimes find the kegs on craigslist, although I bought mine at a wine/fine foods store called Specs. They sold it to me as "damaged goods"...

Back