Too sweet, is there a fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
So I have 10 gallons of cider, fermented dry, stabilized, and ready for back-sweetening before I put it in my keg and start carbonating.

I screwed up real bad. In my haste I calculated something wrong, didn't notice the error, and dumped 4lbs of cane sugar into 5 gallons of cider.

$#!%

Ok, I can save this, right? I take 2.5 gallons out of that carboy and fill it back up with 2.5 gallons of completely dry, un-back-sweetened cider from another carboy. Then I combine the other two halves.

So now I effectively have 2lbs of cane sugar in 5 gallons. Brilliant!

Nope. Its drinkable, but still very sweet. Almost like candy (but I don't like things to be very sweet any way).

Is there any good way to cut the sweetness without starting fermentation again? I really wanted to have this ready for a party in a few weeks, and fermenting/settling/filtering/stabilizing/etc all over again just wont give me enough time.

The only thing i can think of is dilute it some how or add more yeast and let it work on the sugar and kill or remove them somehow when its at the sweetness you want.

Has anyone ever used citric acid to make things a little more sour? I might pour a glass later and see if it has any good effects.

I'm so pissed off at myself.

Only thing you can really do to reduce the sweetness is to restart fermentation. Or dilute it more. Hopefully you didn't stabilize it or it will be hard as he'll to get the fermentation going again. But it can be done.

my suggestion would be to blend it with a large amount of a dry cider

Latest posts

Back