Too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyOTG

Reaction score
Getting ready to start a 5 gallon batch pretty soon. I plan on using 5lbs of brown sugar and Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. With that much sugar, would one packet of yeast suffice, or should I go with two? Also, does anyone have any opinions on sugar, brown or white (taste wise). Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm completely new at this and couldn't quite find an answer in my searching other threads. Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

Well, I'm somewhat new myself...been brewing awhile, but not a lot of batches, so my information is mainly based on what I've read and heard. What I would say is that it's hard to OVER pitch. Definitely get yourself some yeast nutrient so keep your yeast happy. If that's a dry yeast, make sure you "proof" your yeast using some water that's been boiled and cooled down to about 80*F. The one time I have used dry yeast so far, I actually added a little corn sugar to the water so that the yeast would be really happy. :) Let me tell you, 10 minutes after I dropped the yeast in the water and stirred them up, they were EXTREMELY happy! :D

One pack of EC-1118 will handle 5 gallons at the gravity you'll have with no problem. Definitely use nutrient though. I use Fermax for ciders but you can use generic DAP nutrient if that's all you have access to. I NEVER bother with rehydrating dry yeast. If you want to though, don't worry about boiling water. Just use tap water at about 80 degrees as stated. 99.9% of contagions we worry about as brewers/winemakers are airborne. It's so rare to have a water source caused infection it's not worth worrying about. Unless you're the worrying type I guess. I like brown sugar in cider. Especially if you plan to age it for any length of time.

One pack of EC-1118 will handle 5 gallons at the gravity you'll have with no problem. Definitely use nutrient though. I use Fermax for ciders but you can use generic DAP nutrient if that's all you have access to. I NEVER bother with rehydrating dry yeast. If you want to though, don't worry about boiling water. Just use tap water at about 80 degrees as stated. 99.9% of contagions we worry about as brewers/winemakers are airborne. It's so rare to have a water source caused infection it's not worth worrying about. Unless you're the worrying type I guess. I like brown sugar in cider. Especially if you plan to age it for any length of time.

Good stuff Gitmoe, thanks! Would I add the nutrient at the same time as the yeast?

Good stuff Gitmoe, thanks! Would I add the nutrient at the same time as the yeast?

I add nutrient 24 hours after visual active fermentation from pitching cultured yeast. That is to ensure giving nutrient to the cultured yeast and not wild yeast.

Is 5lbs sugar not excessive? Think this'll taste gross...

I wouldn't go so far as to say it would be "gross", but I would never have enough patience to wait long enough for it to mature. I think everything above sounds doable given it has enough time to age properly.

Back