TOO much trub???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
20160313_152718.jpg
Today I made my 3rd batch of beer using a brewers best kit. It is a Double IPA. I followed the directions to the T, except when it said to avoid the transfer of the heavy sediment from the bottom of the brew pot to the fermenter. Now I did try to avoid the transfer put the strainer would get so clogged it only dripped out so I decided to not use the strained and just poured it all in . This is a picture of it after I poured it into the main fermenter. As you can see there looks to be a lot of trub at the bottom. Should I be worried as this will not be a full 5 gallons of beer now should I add more water? It has only been in the fermenter for an hour or so.

Let it be. The trub will compact down quite a bit, just be careful when racking to the bottling bucket.

Do NOT add water. This is no problem at all; it's completely normal and lots of people intentionally transfer everything without a worry. Just be sure you hook up a blow off tube, since there is not too much headspace to contend with a vigorous fermentation.

The trub will compress a bit over time and will not affect flavor. If you water down, that will have a deleterious effect (and it's totally unnecessary). Bottle or keg up whatever final volume you can yield - what matters is the quality, not the amount.

OK sounds good thanks guys. You can see on the carboy where I marked the 5 gallon level with a black sharpie. I will hook up an overflow tube now. When it was all floating about in the brew bucket and I added the water it was filled right to that line but now that it settled it had me concerned.

Honestly I tend to purposefully add a bit more trub to my larger OG beers. The extra trub can help provide extra nutrients for the yeast. I read an article actually that stated beers that were fermented with extra trub had a better flavor profile than those that were filtered prior to fermentation.

Back