Too much sodium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps_phisto

Reaction score
For a almost 3 years I have always used distilled water and built my own mash water profile using Bru'n Water. However, I have recently moved and have gotten my water report and my new location's water is considerably better than my previous location.

The only issue I have is that my water is 66ppm Sodium and 91ppm Chloride. I think due to my water softener.

I would like to use part of my tap water along with either distilled or RO water to help reduce brew cost (less minerals and water as well as trips to the store).

The only thing is that my favorite all time beer to brew is a Cream Ale. Usually my mashing profile using all distilled is at 5ppm Sodium.

Currently if I use a 50/50 mix I can get that number down to 33ppm. Other mixes make it too difficult to hit the other ion concentrations and I'd be back to using 100% distilled.

I am wondering if this would be a significant flavor difference than what I am used to. All other mineral concentrations are exactly the same.

Here is the whole Mash water profile:
50ppm - Calcium
0ppm - Magnesium
33ppm - Sodium
75ppm - Sulfate
79ppm - Chloride

I guess my question is, would this difference in salt produce a "salty" tasting beer? How much of this 33ppm would be left in the finished product as residual? Is there a way I can calculate that?

Thanks in advance!

So I got a copy of the pay for Bru'n Water. Have to say definitely worth it! The 33ppm will survive into the kettle according to the sheet, which I kind of figured it would. It lights up green, but that is probably because it is within the parameters of the sheet.

The flavor question still stands though. Does anyone know if it would be perceptible or make the Cream Ale taste "salty"?

Salty? Not at those levels. While the sodium and chloride are a little high for some styles, I think you'll find that it still makes fine beer as long as you attend to mash pH. Just recognize that you may not want to add much more mineralization in some styles.

And the man himself comes to my rescue! Thanks Martin! I'll give this a shot and report back. Brew day is in 2 weeks, this beer takes about 3 to complete. Look for an update around Mid October!

Latest posts

Back