Too much bitter orange peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently kegged a Belgian Wit. It tasted tart when I sampled it before kegging, but I had hoped it would improve after chilling and carbing. How wrong I was! I must have added way too much bitter orange peel. This was the first time I'd used it. The beer tastes good except for the excessive tartness. Can I fix this by blending with an un-bittered Wit, aging (and for how long) or what? :smack:

Give it more time.......it might be a yeast twang. If not use some gelatin to strip some flavor.

My first brew was a Wit...just a few months ago. I used 1 oz. of orange peel, in spite of what every said to only us 1/2 oz. Well, it smelled of marmalade something terrible. 1 week in primary, 3 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in a bottle. It tasted okay.
Fast forward only 10 more days...WOW!! It tasted great! The orange flavor went into the brew nicely and the smell was great! My friends said it was way better than Blue Moon AND Sam Adams...and it was my first beer!
I say give it a little more time.

Sounds hopeful, but I guess I'll just have to give it some time and see how much it improves. This Belgian Wit spent 3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary so I really don't think the yeast is the problem. I used about 0.3 oz of bitter orange peel. I need a scale with finer resolution. The taste is tart like lemonade with not enough sugar. A bit acidic on my stomach, but the remaining flavor profile is great.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I really appreciate it. I'll just have to be patient, and maybe try some of the pilsner I have cold conditioning.

Well you guys were correct. My previously "too tart" Belgian Wit is decidely delicious now. It has a really nice flavor, especially with an orange slice or two. Thanks to all who eaesd my concerns and told me to give it time and it would mellow out. It did. This is the first beer that I brewed using my own recipe and I am happy with it now. Thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back