Too low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhamp17

Reaction score
i just took a gravity reading it was around 1.040 and was supposed to around 1.055. How much DME and water should i add?

I assume it was an extract/partial boil since you are a new member. Often sugars don't mix well, and taking a sample from the top will give you a lower reading than you actually have. Do some research and you will find it a common issue.

Don't worry, the yeast will find the sugars.

If it was an extract batch, you will have your target OG.

Post your ingredients, and volume, and someone can tell you if yu need be concerned or not. Extract has a know amount of sugar, so it is easy to estimate actual gravity without a measurement.

I assume it was an extract/partial boil since you are a new member. Often sugars don't mix well, and taking a sample from the top will give you a lower reading than you actually have. Do some research and you will find it a common issue.

Don't worry, the yeast will find the sugars.

If it was an extract batch, you will have your target OG.

Post your ingredients, and volume, and someone can tell you if yu need be concerned or not. Extract has a know amount of sugar, so it is easy to estimate actual gravity without a measurement.

It was an all grain amber ale.
8 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Munich
1 lb crystal 60
.5 lb carapils

Liberty hops at 60 min
Saaz at 10 min

And yeast is Safale US 05

Could it be that my wort chiller was dripping water into the kettle while i was chilling the wort?

Could be a lot of things. Didn't boil off as much as expected (didn't hit your post boil target). Low efficiency for whatever reason. Chiller leaking (quite rare). Bad reading (did you correct for the temp?).

You need to know how much volume you have to compute how much DME to add. Like i said, if you have 5 gallons (or pretty close to that) of wort at 1.040 and you want it to be 1.055, add 1.7 pounds of DME. I would recommend taking some of the existing wort out, boiling that with the DME for 6 or 10 minutes, them returning it to the original wort.

Back