Too Late for Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNeeper

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I have a beginner question.

I started my first batch of beer with a can of liquid ingredients. I cleaned all equipment very well, then added and mixed the ingredients. Then when it came time to add the yeast I relized it was missing from beer mix. I finally got back to the store and now have the yeast, problem is its now 3 days after I mixed everything!
My fermenter has been sitting with the lid on, and everything sealed, with the "gasser" valve during the last few days. Do you think if I add the yeast now everything will be ok?

Thanks for your help!

TheNeeper said:
Hi Everyone!
I have a beginner question.

I started my first batch of beer with a can of liquid ingredients. I cleaned all equipment very well, then added and mixed the ingredients. Then when it came time to add the yeast I relized it was missing from beer mix. I finally got back to the store and now have the yeast, problem is its now 3 days after I mixed everything!
My fermenter has been sitting with the lid on, and everything sealed, with the "gasser" valve during the last few days. Do you think if I add the yeast now everything will be ok?

Thanks for your help!

Take a look at your wort. If there's nothing growing on the top (foam, fuzzy patches, etc) then you can pitch your yeast but you'll want to get some oxygen in there first.

ok, so open it up for a little bit, then add the yeast?
So if I see any signs of foam, or fuzzy patches I should start a new batch?
Also, should I put the yeast on top, or mix it in?
Thanks so much!

when he said give it some oxygen he meant aerate it.

pur in your yeast and stir it violently,
get as much as bubbles into it as you can

the yeast needs these air bubbles

Just stir/shake it vigorously until the top is foamy with bubbles. Put the yeast in and leave it a week.
If you don't want to guess if it's done then buy a hydrometer.
Cleaning equipment alone is a gamble, you need to sanitise it.
www.howtobrew.com is worth a read.

ok, great! I just hope I dont see any signs of bacteria!
I am using a can of "Beermasters Australia" I got at my local grocery store.
Hopefully it will turn out ok! Next batch I will get some better ingredients!
Thanks for your help guys! This is a great forum!

TheNeeper said:
ok, so open it up for a little bit, then add the yeast?
So if I see any signs of foam, or fuzzy patches I should start a new batch?
Also, should I put the yeast on top, or mix it in?
Thanks so much!

Open it to make sure nothing is growing. If it's clean, put the cover back on and shake the hell out of it for 10-15 minutes to oxygenate, then pitch your yeast. The easiest way to do the shaking is to sit in a chair with the fermenter on your lap and shake it, harder to drop that way...

damn, I type slow...

orfy said:
Just stir/shake it vigourosly until the top is foamy with bubbles. Put the yest in and leave it a week.
If you don't want to guess if it's done then buy a hydrometer.
Cleaning equipment alone is a gamble, you need to sanitise it.
www.howtobrew.com is worth a read.

I have a hydrometer, I just need to figure out how to use it :)
Also, I cleaned the equipment with soap, then rinsed it well, and then used some other stuff I cant remember the name..something like glucamate or something..haha
I was VERY tedious about cleaning it.

Three days isn't likely to be a problem as long as it was relatively cool (normal fermentation range). I've always keep a few packets of dried yeast in the fridge. They're good for a year or two & it's cheap insurance.

ok, its been 6 days since I started the primary fermentation. I put the yeast in, then stirred it like crazy for 5-10 minutes.
Last night I took off my airlock and syphoned some beer out to test. It looked good, and after 6 days it read 1.020 on the hydrometer.
I tasted it, wasnt bad, could see some very small particles floating.
I think I have decided to keep it in the primary for another couple weeks, would this be a wise decision?
I will check it again in a few days to see if its still fermenting.

I see people talking about watching bubbles from the airlock. My airlock doesnt seem to hold water, and its the 3 piece kind I am assuming? Is there a decent way to see how much gas is being released?

Thanks again guys. Great Forums.

I recommend using vodka in the airlock over water. Just an extra precaution for keeping bugs out....and it should hold water. If you dont have a secondary fermenter, I recommend it. Anything more than a week is a while to let your beer sit on top of that trub....may cause off flavors.

good luck!

Thanks Tophe96.
Its been in the primary for 7 days today. I do have a glass carboy to use.
When I move it into the glass carboy, I dont need to add sugar?
Also, the hydrometer said 1.020, so when should I move it?
I am assuming it will finish in the carboy right?

And you were going to siphon it into your secondary, not just pour it or something, right? At this point you want to avoid mixing any air into the beer... I think somebody already mentioned howtobrew.com, it would really be a good idea to do some reading there...

ok, no sugar. Although it would have been corn sugar :)
Yes, I would siphon it into the carboy.
I just added some water to my airlock, just waiting
for something to bubble.

Also, my kit said to wait until it got to 1005 before bottling and doesnt mention a secondary, should I still go for it?
What happens if the beer doesnt reach 1005?

TheNeeper said:
ok, its been 6 days since I started the primary fermentation. I put the yeast in, then stirred it like crazy for 5-10 minutes.
Last night I took off my airlock and syphoned some beer out to test. It looked good, and after 6 days it read 1.020 on the hydrometer.
I tasted it, wasnt bad, could see some very small particles floating.
I think I have decided to keep it in the primary for another couple weeks, would this be a wise decision?
I will check it again in a few days to see if its still fermenting.

I see people talking about watching bubbles from the airlock. My airlock doesnt seem to hold water, and its the 3 piece kind I am assuming? Is there a decent way to see how much gas is being released?

Thanks again guys. Great Forums.

Is it three separate pieces of plastic, or is it in an 'S' shape? Either way, you have to put water into it, otherwise it's not an airlock (the water is what prevents air from freely passing in and out of the fermenter). If you have a three-piece, take the cap off and make sure the plastic piece that looks a bit like a thimble is over the vent tube coming from the vent to the fermenter. Fill the body of the airlock up 1/3 of the way with water, and stick the cap back on. It should start bubbling in a few hours to a day or so.

TheNeeper said:
Also, my kit said to wait until it got to 1005 before bottling and doesnt mention a secondary, should I still go for it?
What happens if the beer doesnt reach 1005?

Did you take a grav reading before you pitched your yeast?

if it doesn't reach 1.005 then you just have a lower alcohol content. Meaning that the yeast didn't eat all the sugar it could have. Read howtobrew and Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing. Definately read up before you brew more.

It'll also have residual sugars left over if you don't hit 1.005, so it'll be sweeter than the recipe is supposed to be.

Darn, the I didnt know I needed to put water in the airlock, as I dont remember reading that (which is why I started coming here).
I didnt take a gravity reading before, again, the kit didnt mention it. I have learned so much at the expense of this round.
Its been 7 days, now I have water in my airlock, so I will take a reading in a few days to see if its still fermenting. Last night when I looked at it, everything seems ok, and it actually tasted somewhat good, minus carbonation of course.
Should I do Secondary or no?

Whelk said:
It'll also have residual sugars left over if you don't hit 1.005, so it'll be sweeter than the recipe is supposed to be.

I tasted it, and it didnt taste sweet? Does the sugars sink to the bottom? I took a reading from the very top.

TheNeeper said:
I tasted it, and it didnt taste sweet? Does the sugars sink to the bottom? I took a reading from the very top.

Well, residual sugars can either taste sweet, or they can make the beer less dry (ie, not as dry as you want it). Your sample also might not be indicative of the whole batch, since the beer wouldn't be evenly mixed, like you were saying. Also, it's really not easy to tell exactly what the beer will taste like from a sample taken so early. Still, your beer is probably fine, I wouldn't worry. Let time sort it all out. :D

Ok, I am letting time sort this one out. So it is recommended that I go ahead with a secondary fermentation? If so, when? Today marks day 7.

TheNeeper said:

Let it go a little longer, if you've already gone 7 days let it go 10, if you've gone 5 let it go 7. Just in case there's still a yeast orgy going on. Then transfer to secondary...

DeadYetiBrew said:
Let it go a little longer, if you've already gone 7 days let it go 10, if you've gone 5 let it go 7. Just in case there's still a yeast orgy going on. Then transfer to secondary...

Seconded. :D

Some people (Jamil Zainasheff) recommend not doing secondary fermentation, but most people seem to think it's good for clarifying beer and getting the beer off dead/dying/inactive yeast and trub before all that gunk causes off-flavors. Personally, I do secondary fermentation (though I've had great beers without doing that), and I think you probably should do it too. So, uh, yeah...it's up to you, you'll make good beer either way, but if you do want to go for it--wait until your gravity is almost completely down to where it should be (within one or two points) and then transfer it. Remember--secondary fermentation is really code phrase for clarification, so not much fermentation goes on.

Thanks for the information guys; seriously.
I am going to let it go to 10, then take a reading and transfer.
I am still waiting for the airlock to lift a little and expel a bubble.

Thanks again.
I have yet to see any air come out of my fermenter
for 24 hours, So I assuming its finished?
Also, since I didnt take a hydrometer reading before
fermentation, can I still get an accurate reading now?
Last reading was 1.020, and since no CO2 activity is
occuring is it safe to assume I just brewed some really
"light" beer?
I am going to tranfer to the secondary tonight when
I get home from work.

TheNeeper said:
Thanks again.
I have yet to see any air come out of my fermenter
for 24 hours, So I assuming its finished?
Also, since I didnt take a hydrometer reading before
fermentation, can I still get an accurate reading now?
Last reading was 1.020, and since no CO2 activity is
occuring is it safe to assume I just brewed some really
"light" beer?
I am going to tranfer to the secondary tonight when
I get home from work.

Go find one of the beer software programs. You'll be able to input your recipe, it'll give you what your starting gravity was, at least close to. Promash is easy to use.

Thanks DeadYetiBrew,
I used a kit from BeerMasters Australia. It says to bottle when the FG reaches 1005..although I am not so sure I will hit it. I took a reading on Tuesday and it said 1.020. Should I take another reading tonight to see if its moved?

I don't understand, whay haven't you read how to brew yet, several people have suggested it. It's free and one of the best beginners resources on brewing available. If you didn't add water to the airlock for 6 days, you probably won't see any activity ever, already done.

You can't just wait for it to go to 10, if it's done it's done, you may be able to toss a little nottingham on to try to finish up, but you're probably done.

No, sugar doesn't settle out, it is eaten by yeast to create alcohol, yeast settles out.

No, leaving it in you primary for a while shouldn't hurt it, but a secondary is usually a good idea, IF you feel comfortable with it, if not, skip it this time. If so, transfer within the next few days and let it set for 2 weeks.

Please read howtobrew.com

I don't mean to sound harsh, and that may have, but you really should do a little reading. There are great books out there, pick one up. You should check the hydrometer when you plan on transfering, if it has moved, wait and check tomorrow, if not, transfer. If you don't plan on using the secondary, just wait amother week or so, and then bottle.

Edit: I should have welcomed you, how rude of me. I hope you enjoy your homebrewing adventures.

ilikestuff said:
I don't mean to sound harsh, and that may have, but you really should do a little reading. There are great books out there, pick one up. You should check the hydrometer when you plan on transfering, if it has moved, wait and check tomorrow, if not, transfer. If you don't plan on using the secondary, just wait amother week or so, and then bottle.

Edit: I should have welcomed you, how rude of me. I hope you enjoy your homebrewing adventures.

No worries. I know its always wise to read before venturing into something new.
I guess its because its my first batch and I want it to turn out so I was asking
alot. I have learned so much with this run.
I checked the hydrometer tonight and it read 1.015, so its getting there!
On Tuesday it read 1.020. I am going to wait until it reaches 1.010 or so and
then move into the secondary.
Thanks again!

It depends on the style, but 1.005 will make it very light.

Think about it this way, pure water is 1.000, so the lower you get, the lighter (closer to water) your beer will be. The number is the amount of unfermented/unfermentable stuff in your beer, so the lower you get it, the less body your beer will have, closer to water. While the lower the number gets, the higher your alcohol, you don't want to sacrifice quality just to get your buzz on. :drunk:

Of course you don't want to leave it too high, this results in low alcohol percentage, sweet beer because of unfermented sugars, and possible bottle bombs if fermentation continues to take place in the bottle after being bottled at too high an FG.

It really depends on the style of beer your making, the original gravity, the yeast you use, the temperature of the ferment, but 1.005 is really low, probably would taste thinner than corona or coors light, and probably won't get that low. I never paid too much attention to the directions on the box, the people here are much smarter than cardboard boxes (so are John Palmer and Charlie Papazian, read their books :) ), so I say listen to us, not the box. I would shoot for 10-15 in FG for this style, but that's just me.

Have you transfered to your secondary yet, if not it's time.

And just think, soon you will be able to RDWHAHB. :tank:

dude, go out and invest a couple bucks in "how to brew", by john palmer, and read it. i got this book(now in its second edition i think) and read it cover to cover before i boiled my first wert. it will take away all of the doubt and guessing games in plain understandable english.:rockin:

Back