Too funny. Still laughing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
So I was poking around the garage organizing my brewery. My loving wife was doing her nails watching something stupid. All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling scream. I go running into my house expecting the worse. My wifes nails are wet and she's flapping her arms screaming about flying spiders. So I do my manly duty and look for the creepy crawly. Thinking a spider was dropping from the ceiling fan. She yells at me " No it was a flying spider."
So I hung out for a minute. She started screaming "Oh my god there it is. Kill it. Kill it."
It was a mosquito hawk.
Hope you find this as funny as I do.

I had to look that one up. The mosquito hawk, colloquial, that I had heard named is a feathered bird of prey. This hawk feeds only at night, they said, on mosquitoes. I was picturing your mosquito hawk with a 12 inch wingspan in the house.
Your insect I had always called a crane fly.

So it was a skeeter eater?

THAT I know..... Mosquito Hawk - I had visions of one big a$$ bird flying around the house.... funny how the same critter is called different things. And we wonder why people have trouble understanding one another.

That aside, that's some funny stuff right there....the visual of wet nails and flapping arms....."flying spiders" :eek:

Was she trying to mimic this ferocious insect by flapping her arms with the nail polish of death on her talons!? LOL!!

My cat eats them. my cat eats any bug that gets into the house.

My cat eats them. my cat eats any bug that gets into the house.

Don't get me started with the cat. He found a Jerusalem cricket once that was hilarious.
Nothing is alive with my killer around. Got a couple small snakes last summer wife was hysterical had to leave work.

I always felt that it was them pesky barkin' spiders you had to look out for? They have a funky sounding bark & their breath freekin' reeks...

I call them Mosquito hawks too. Never heard Crane fly. Was thinking it maybe was a local dialect thing but when I learned it I lived in the same city as Shooter does now, so that doesn't help. LOL...

Crane flies look like giant mosquitoes, and we call them crane flies, or less often, mosquito eaters. I was picturing a dragonfly. We call those mosquito hawks, too.

Damsel flies are similar, but different.

Sounds like "fish flies" around here. I would talk about fish flies when I lived in other places and nobody had ever heard of them. I thought they were unique to where I grew up. Then an out of state friend saw one and told me it's just a May Fly...it is just a May Fly, my travels have proven.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Crane Flies here. My son is deathly afraid of them. They use to get in our old house every summer and go straight to the bathroom. He would go in and not notice them. 30min later you would hear him whimpering and half yelling at them to get away from him. I even went so far as to catch one and put it on my arm to shown him they don't hurt anything. Still doesn't help.

I call them Mosquito hawks too. Never heard Crane fly. Was thinking it maybe was a local dialect thing but when I learned it I lived in the same city as Shooter does now, so that doesn't help. LOL...

I grew up in Washington State. So, maybe that's why?!? :confused:

I have heard them referred to as mosquito hawks before. So, that name is not unfamiliar to me.

Back