Too-Early Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
I made a starter with White Labs California Ale yeast and some DME. The next day there's a good, healthy foam on top. Problem is, my HBS was closed, so I had to order some hops online (can't get to my HBS during the week--too far.) So what can I do, if anything, to make sure this starter will be okay for a week? I don't want it to generate off flavors (I just read Janx's post about NOT using the yeast from secondary.) I imagine using this starter after a week is no different than dumping wort onto the primary yeast bed, as both are about a week old. But should I feed it more?

What I'd do is cap it and chill it. Then I'd wait until about Thursday and make another starter. Warm up the starter you have, pour most of the liquid off, then shwirl up the yeast bed at the bottom and add it to your new starter. You should have an even better starter at that point all ready for the weekend. Cheers! :D

Back