Too early for cones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Hallertau looks like it's putting out cones already, but I think it's too early.

PXL_20210704_153211208.jpg

Is this fine, or does it require some action on my part?

You're fine! That stage is actually called 'burr' and those 'spiky' things are where pollen grains would attach if there were any males close by. If you have some different varieties you can make notes as to when they begin to burr and how long it takes the different ones to turn into the actual cones. Some are very quick, like within a week or two, while others take much longer. http://www.willingham-nurseries.co.uk/books/Hops/hopitsconstituen00chaprich.pdf

Last edited:
I would almost say its a bit late but if the weather and bugs behave you should be harvesting by mid Sep at the latest.

We're in vastly different climates.

Maybe. I am about as far north as you can get in Virginia and north of some places that would be considered "Midwest USA". I probably should have trimmed back some of my early shoots but they are only 2nd year plants. Plus we had a rather mild spring and fairly steady rain this year. Last year I harvested my first year cones on Aug 30th.

Different varieties flower at different times and at different rates.

For what it’s worth, my Cascade begins it’s burr stage around the summer solstice every year like clockwork. The cones however won’t be ripe enough to pick for another 6-8 weeks. I usually harvest my Cascade in the second to third week in August. I have a 3rd year Hartwick plant that hasn’t even started to burr yet. But the cones ripen much faster and it’s usually harvest time at the end of August. My third year Alpharoma is taking it’s time and just now throwing side arms after topping the line at 20 feet. The latter is advertised as a late/very late harvest. So I’m expecting mid to late September for those.

I’ve also read that commercial hop yards intentionally plant varieties which have different harvest windows. Efficient use of equipment man power and processing facilities. They can harvest, dry and bale cascade one week, and a different variety the next week.

My HM hasn't even started producing burrs yet, I usually harvest second week of september

Back