Too Deep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Alright hop growing experts, newb question here. This year I fugred, hop growing seems like fun, and Ive always had a green thumb so Ill give it a try. Itll give me an opportunity to get out in the backyard, do some building of a trellis, and grow some tasty treats.

So I read a ton of articles online and figured I was ready, I set out and bought my rhizomes and supplies and went to work building my trellis. Everything came out beautiful and got my hops in the ground. I had printed out This Article which said to plant them 4" deep. I did so, but later in the evening and this morning I couldnt help but think that it was too deep. I feel like Ive always seen pictures where the rhizome was right near the top. So I looked it up, sure enough I had printed the only article that said that. Everything else said 1"... :confused:

So my question is, should I just leave them and theyll be fine? Or should I dig them up and replant an inch deep. I planted them last night so theyve only been in the dirt for 12 hours so I doubt they have a root system. What do y'all think? Thanks in advance!

The soil will drain in this area very well, I just got a little nervous that I had them 3" too deep by most suggestions.

Would be easy to bring them up if you are worried about it.

Thats kinda what I figured, not that Im worried. I would just say that Im curious about others planting methods/depths ;)

All of my rhizomes were planted an inch deep, and all 15 are still thriving going into their 6th year.

If you just stuck them in the ground, I'd go ahead and do them over.
But I'm a cynical pessimist. That's how my type rolls...

Cheers! ;)

You'll be fine. You might be getter off because the roots will spider out more than you can imagine. Mine was growing about 4' away from mine.

I planted mine 4 inches deep last year. All came up fine. Seemed to take longer than I expected to come up. All grew well. All have come up fine this second year.

Brush the dirt away above the rhizome if you are worried. There! It's an inch deep! Why did you think you could not do this?

It really is all you can do, to kill one of these plants!

TeeJo

B
Why did you think you could not do this?

Oh I thought I could do it. I was able to plant the dang things I'm pretty sure I could dig em up. I was asking to inquire as to whether or not 4 inches was too deep to have a rhizome or if it would be fine if left

Back