Too Cold to Ferment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil28307

Reaction score
Need some fermentation advice. I recently brewed on Sunday and brought my wort down to 68 degrees and I pitched my dry ale yeast at that point. I have a fermentor unit that I use to control my temperatures which I had at 65 degrees. Unfortunately, with the recent weather my garage got down to about 45 degrees.Well, I discovered that the temp on the beer went down to 45 degrees within my fermentor unit I built. I did not see any signs of fermentation so I brought the bucket in the house hoping to warm up the wort so fermentation can continue.

Does this mean I lost my beer? Is it possible that warming the cool wort could resume the fermentation process and I should be able to see fermentation occur?

You should be fine. Once the beer warms up, you might want to rouse the yeast with a sanitized spoon. As long as fermentation hasn't begun, adding oxygen at this point will only help.

Had the same problem. Swirled the bucket and got it to mid 60s and it's bubbling along. Tempted to check its gravity.

Back