Too cold in the basement...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 199714

Reaction score
I plan to pitch Wyeast 1028 into an Oatmeal Stout - the recommended temperature range is 60 to 72F. My basement ambient temperature is around 55. I know I might count on a 5-10(max) degree increase when the fermentation gets going but am concerned with a sluggish start.

Any suggestions on warming techniques, if at all? An electric blanket comes to mind, or even wrapping the fermenter in a sleeping bag once wort reaches the desired temp and hope the yeast take it from there and keep the temp up for as long as it matters.

What do you think?

D.

I would say 5 degrees max if ambient temp is in the range of fermentation. Fermentation temp control is critical to good beer so it is worth the investment to get a digital temp controller and use that to switch a heating element...Any homebrew supply store will have some variation of one.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Does the ferm wrap or similar product rely on surface temp or am I looking at getting a thermowell too?

I just use surface temp for now, and adjust my set temp based on assuming a 5 degree difference in the center of my liquid. So if I'm aiming for 65 degrees, I'll usually set it at around 62, so that if the center of my liquid is at 67, I'm still in range for my yeast, and won't be producing off-flavors.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Does the ferm wrap or similar product rely on surface temp or am I looking at getting a thermowell too?

The Fermwrap is just a contact heating element. You will need some kind of temp control for it. Look into the STC-1000--about $20 on Ebay and Amazon. This is a dual stage controller, it controls both heating and cooling, though you only need the heating side in your cool environment. The STC comes with a temp probe that you can tape to the side of your fermenter.

I've been using an aquarium heater and a Rubbermaid storage container for a water bath. I add a little bleach to the water bath to keep it from getting funky. Works really well. I can't claim the idea as my own, I read about it on a thread here somewhere.

I've been using a 50 watt Ehiem Jager heater from Amazon ($20) and it lets me set my beginning temp to 65 and then I bump it up after initial fermentation is finished. I like this approach because I know the heater will be pretty consistent and it was pretty cheap since I have a Prime account and already had the Rubbermaid container.

Back