Tons of foam after reconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstring78

Reaction score
I have a kegerator with two taps. Last week I hooked up a new keg to the kegerator to be able to carbonate it.
I have one tap on a tower, and one tap coming off the front of the kegerator(it's a converted freezer).
I removed the keg that was hooked up to the tower(and almost empty) and hooked it up to the front tap and then connected the new keg to the tower to carbonate.
When I went to pour a beer from the front tap(almost empty keg) there was A LOT of foam produced. I thought that it might settle down over the next couple of days or so, but it didn't. Still tons of foam.
And to mention, I didn't physically move this keg at all, just switched the couplers. The psi stayed exactly the same as well.
Any suggesstions as to what could be causing this?
The only thing I can think of is the size of line I have going from the coupler to my tap. It's 1/4" on the front tap(the one I'm getting foam) and I believe 1/2"(?) on the tower. I have approx. 7' of 1/4" hose though going from the coupler to the front tap.
I haven't tried carbonating a keg on the front tap yet to see how things work out from scratch. I'll try that next time and see if I get the same amount of foam without ever changing kegs around.
Sorry if this is a bit confusing. lol

The line size, line length, and keg pressure are the big factors in a proper pour.

Those line sizes seem pretty odd. They should be written on the side of the line. Double check the diameter and length of the lines.

In general, you are going to want 3/16" tubing not 1/4".

Back