Tonite's experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fj3fury

Reaction score
I'm taking a 3.3 lb can of Munton's dark ale malt extract and splitting it into two three gallon batches. Can I get some feedback

First up is an attempt at a pumpkin ale;
half can malt, 1lb of corn sugar, a can of pumpkin, and an ounce of kent's golden pellet hops added to the boil. Yeast is a safale S-04

Second is the same dark ale malt, 1lb of sugar, a cup of molasses, and another ounce of kent's golden hops with the same yeast.

Both are being hopped for 10 minutes during the boil.

That's pretty light, using only half a can for 3 gallons. The second one has as much sugar and molasses than malt. So more extract (or smaller batches) and less sugar and molasses.

And why hopping for just 10 minutes? It seems like you'd want bittering hops (longer boil) but maybe not flavor for these styles.

A similar sized munton's can of hopped extract in a kit makes a lil bit over 6 us gallons of beer. The same type kit also calls for 2.2 pounds of sugar. I halfed the sugar measurement. I boiled the hops 10 minutes for flavor in stead of bittering as per recommendations in another post. The molasses I was using more for flavoring than sugar.

If that's pre-hopped extract, then that covers the hops. Whether that same 3.3 lb can does really make 6 gallons of good beer is something argued about.

Back