Toasting 60L to make 120L or higher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
Anyone take crystal malt and toast it to get a higher lovibond? I'm needing some 120L, and I really want to experiment with some 60L. I'm not looking to fully convert some 2-row. I just want to take something that is already a specialty malt, and crank it higher. Anyone ever do this with success?

Toasting an already malted grain, like crystal, will give a different flavor than bringing the temperature up during malting(still green), which I think is how crystal is done.

(You can read more from this thread:)https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/making-crystal-malt-137837/

But if you want both a crystal and a toasted kind of flavor, could be different than using separate specialty malts.

Rich

Toasting an already malted grain, like crystal, will give a different flavor than bringing the temperature up during malting(still green), which I think is how crystal is done.

Rich

I actually read through that thread. Your answer was confirmation of what I suspected after reading that. I get different opinions, but the bottom line is, for now, I don't truly need 120L. I can use 60L, and expect a different result, but I know it will be good. I just don't want to do something that drastically changes the flavor. I can have a buddy of mine pick up some 120 before I brew. The LHBS is just a good ways away, and I'm already storing more grain than most stores. :D

As I think about it more, to make 120, don't they just roast it longer? At the point they stop baking, isn't it 60 that is fully dried? If I took it from 60 to 120, how would the grain know any different?

Crystal malt isn't really roasted. When the malt is still quite wet it is heated to get caramelization to occur. The hotter and longer it is cooked, the more caramelization you get and the darker is gets. Then it is dried.

Roasting crystal 60 will make the beer darker, but the flavor will be different from that of a higher L crystal malt, even though the L might be the same. This could be an interesting way to get a make a beer darker without making it sweeter or resorting to traditional roasted malts.

Back