Toasted Dandelion Root

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
I have this "liver cleansing" tea that is 100% Toasted Dandelion Root...it imparts a toasty, spicy, somewhat bitter flavor to its tea. Also, it's an herbal hangover prevention technique.

Anyway, I think it'd be great in smaller quantities in a Saison recipe I have. I'm considering cutting open the tea bags and adding the dandelion root with crushed coriander in the last 5 min of the boil.

I've had New Holland's Dandelion Ale, which was a Belgian Blonde (I think), but that was made with fresh dandelions as a bittering agent rather than a "secret spice"

Anybody tried this or have a strong reaction?

A couple of times when I was makin cider and mead I have put herbal tea bags in the fermenter just because they were within reach.
I dont right off hand remember what flavor, or what brand they were exactly but it was something that we drinkin at the time. Had no problems, and tasted good. So I dont see why it would hurt.
Dandalions as bittering agent, hmmm I see an experiment in my future

Back