To Windscreen or not to windscreen..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcow_number_6

Reaction score
I've been using a Bayou burner SP-10 for the last several brews and I'm tickled pink with the way puts out. That is, when there is no wind anyway. The unit comes with a built in *cough* "windscreen" *cough* but it does't block anything gustier than a mosquito fart. Pondering this on my last brew day I realized I was sitting atop an empty 30gal steel grease drum I rescued from the scrap bin at work. The drum is wide enough, and my pot (7gal) narrow enough, that I could cut slits to accommodate the burners' legs and still keep 1 to 1 1/2 inches of clearance the full circumfrence for the pot. maybe add a hole on the leeward side big enough to light the burner through. Not only cure any windy day problems but add better heating for the winter months..

Thoughts? Suggestions? Snide remarks?

I made this out of tin and works great on the frozen north!

DSCN0475.JPG

You need to provide venting at the top of the shroud/bottom of the kettle for air intake or you will choke your flame.

229863_251951671575843_1962571_n.jpg

I have a KAB10 with the same problem. I solved it by raising the wind screen. Remove the 4 burner support screws, bend 2 halves of 25 GA sheet steel and strap down with an aviator clamp, then drill and reinstall the burner and support screws. The air still flows from beneath the burner up. Works like a champ.

Back