To those that brew 15+ gallons at a time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyTacos

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a 1/2 bbl system for when I go full electric, however, I have no idea how I could fit that much beer in my keezer. What do you guys do, do you serve it from a conical, do you have a way to store several corny kegs, or do you bottle?

I have room in my keezer for six corny kegs. Each is 5 gallons, so you could do 15 gallons in 3 kegs.

There's also no reason necessarily that you'd have to store all of them in a refrigerated environment. You could leave some warm and when a keg gets close to kicking, add another to the keezer to start chilling. It also depends on how you're going to carb them as to when you chill them.

I'm interested in purchasing a 1/2 bbl system for when I go full electric, however, I have no idea how I could fit that much beer in my keezer. What do you guys do, do you serve it from a conical, do you have a way to store several corny kegs, or do you bottle?
I do 12-18 gallon batches depending on the situation. I typically will keep 1 keg and the others are for friends. My keg fridge has 4 taps and I have a chest freezer that can also hold 4. I also often store them at room temperature until needed. Are you brewing with friends? 3 kegs off beer can be alot of it's just for yourself especially if it's doesn't turn out excellent. I'm lucky that I have several friends that bought keg setups that I brew for so I can never really have too much. It's usually the other way around. Cheers

I do 12-18 gallon batches depending on the situation. I typically will keep 1 keg and the others are for friends. My keg fridge has 4 taps and I have a chest freezer that can also hold 4. I also often store them at room temperature until needed. Are you brewing with friends? 3 kegs off beer can be alot of it's just for yourself especially if it's doesn't turn out excellent. I'm lucky that I have several friends that bought keg setups that I brew for so I can never really have too much. It's usually the other way around. Cheers

I'm a member of a homebrew club that can be pretty thirsty at times, plus I always have co-workers looking for my latest batch of beer. Additionally, I have get togethers once every 3-4 months that does a good job of cleaning out my kegs. Last year the wife and I threw a xmas party, and my 5 gallon batch of my 9.9% xmas beer kicked in 2 hours or so (plenty of people had to take an Uber home ;)). There are recipes that I could drink 15 gallons of within a few months like my German pils that I'm in love with, but others would take a year or two to drink all 15 gallons.

I do 10 gallon batches, and each batch just gets split into two corny kegs. One goes into the kegerator, the second is stored in the garage until ready.

The nice thing about 15 gallon batches, though, might be the ability to just put them into 15.5 gal Sanke kegs. That way instead of three kegs you only have one per batch...

I sometimes do 15 gallons. I can store 11 kegs in various fridges, but normally 15 gallon batches are either for an event (to share) or giving kegs to friends. Also, most of my beers are naturally carbonated through spunding and use closed transfers, so they have a longer shelf life when stored out of the fridge.

Latest posts

Back