To Tea or not to Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttugly

Ugly AND Old
Reaction score
OK, here's the problem - I made a batch of high test IPA (about 1.072 SG) with Northern Brewer hops both for bittering and at the end. When I first put it in the fermenter, it had a very hoppy smell. Now, after a week in the fermenter and a week in the carboy, I can't smell any hops at all. Did the alcohol completely do in the hops? Should I think about a batch of hop tea to put in it when it goes to the keg?

When I made an IPA, I dry-hopped with 2 oz. of Cascade. LOTS of hops aroma really came through. BIG hop nose. Most good IPA recipes, it seems, call for dry-hopping.

Drop your hop sack into the primary after the fermentation has slowed a bit and the krausen has fallen - you don't want that baby trying to crawl out through the blow-off hose!!!

Hopsnort

Hopsnort said:
Drop your hop sack into the primary after the fermentation has slowed a bit and the krausen has fallen - you don't want that baby trying to crawl out through the blow-off hose!!!
:confused: Isn't dry hopping generally done in the secondary, and wouldn't using a hop bag to dry hop with pretty much totally defeat the purpose?

Cascade isn't the only hops to dry hop an IPA with, but it is certainly a good choice. Dry hopping is the best way to give your IPA that "smack your nose". You could also use Goldings, Nugget, Centenial or Chinook. One oz., either free floating or in a bag for a week, should put the aroma back to where you want it.

El Pistolero said:
Isn't dry hopping generally done in the secondary, and wouldn't using a hop bag to dry hop with pretty much totally defeat the purpose?

Hey, it works for me! Lots of hop aroma. I used whole hops.

Read about this method (I think in Brew Your Own), it sounded neat & tidy, and siphoning with a bunch of hops swimming around is a total PITA. I also prefer "beer only" in my secondary as I'm a crystal-clear beer freak.

I really don't understand how a hop bag would in any way defeat the purpose (???) My hops are in a loose bag (not compacted) so they are getting full beer contact.

But hey, I'm here to learn some new tricks!!!

Hopsnort

Latest posts

Back