To Secondary Oxygenate or Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
First time brewing a big stout (10%) and I'm planning on pitching about 350B cells of yeast. Obviously I'll initially oxygenate, but the employee at the LHBS today said that doing another oxygenation 18-24 hours isn't necessary. Is he correct? I've always read that hitting the wort with another 1-2 minutes of oxygen after a day from pitching will facilitate yeast cell replication so that you can hit your appropriate final gravity.

Any thoughts?

I have read that it helps the yeast build stronger/thicker? cell membranes, which will better resist the negative effects of alcohol farther down the road. May as well do it ----- or split into two fermenters, do it to one, and post the results in a month.

It won't hurt anything and can help your yeast beasts. I've done a couple 10-11% brews and only ever shook my bucket before pitching for oxygenation and never had any problems with fermentation or off flavors.

I recently did a BDSA at 11.5% ABV (OG 1.109). I did 1 min O2 into the fermenter and another minute 12 hours later. It worked great. No stalling and hit FG spot on.

Back