To paint or not paint PVC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I am finishing up a double wall chiller. The outer walls are PVC and Copper pipes inside. I have a wooden frame holding the entire construction.

I was thinking of painting the PVC with spray paint to make it look copper. I even picked up a can of hammered copper paint. My wife has suggested it would look better and be easier to clean if I just left it bare PVC?

Any suggestions on which way to go with this?

I am finishing up a double wall chiller. The outer walls are PVC and Copper pipes inside. I have a wooden frame holding the entire construction.

I was thinking of painting the PVC with spray paint to make it look copper. I even picked up a can of hammered copper paint. My wife has suggested it would look better and be easier to clean if I just left it bare PVC?

Any suggestions on which way to go with this?

Can't speak to this specific application, but a few years ago, I ran a 2" PVC pipe under our front sidewalk to allow hoses through for sprinklers in all the much areas. We use black mulch everywhere and I didn't want leave exposed PVC on the high side or bury the high side, but I did want to make it not noticeable.

So, I did the same thing you are thinking about except with black spray paint, and its holding up fine 3 or 4 years later with a bunch of weather exposure. I did select a paint rated for plastic and maybe outdoor furniture? Don't remember since it was a while back, but the point is it holds color better than mulch.

So I wouldn't worry about the paint condition, just whether or not whatever color you picked will look good. Not sure I'd go with some faux copper thing over a flat black or something else that will blend in, but maybe it looks good?

e: wait, this is for a chiller? who cares?

Last edited:

Photos attached.

At one point i considered painting the wood frame to look like steel and the white PVC to look like copper. I have since changed my mind and will be staining the wood frame and maybe going with copper for the chiller. I think going all copper would be the classy way to go. Going fake copper the tacky way to go?

P5110246.jpg

P5110249.jpg

P5110250.jpg

I'm on your side on this one. I think that would look first class with a hammered copper finish on it. :mug:

Thanks for the push. I put a few coats on it but my wife did not follow the painting plan when I ran to the store for one more can so i have to wait 48 hour for the last coat. I think it is looking pretty cool so far. The only issue is liked it laid out as one layer instead of two and now have to build a new wood holding rack for it.

That's going to look cool. What shade are you thinking for the wood? Can't wait for more pics.

I am going with Mahogany ends and Ash Supports. It has been a while since I have done some woodworking and am now inspired. I am looking for a cooling device that will also be a piece of art.

FWIW and future reference, tacky or not, at least fake copper doesn't oxidize and need polishing to stay "classy" looking.

Just saying.

So you're saying I should spray paint the actual copper pieces also to "look like" hand hammered copper. ;)

Back