To much nutrient in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyzaboy89

Reaction score
Hello all, quick question, teaching my wife how to brew melomel and failed to specify how much nutrient to add at sugar breaks. Instead of package directions divided over sna/sugar breaks, the full amount on the package labels was added each break.

At pitch and both sugar breaks 1/2 tsp per gallon of energizer and 1 tsp DAP per gallon.

In total 7.5 tsp energizer and 15 tsp DAP during primary fermentation.

Haven't experienced this before and she raised the concern after reading about possible carcinogens, so the question is how much is to much? Personally I think this is way overboard but want to here opinions before considering tossing and starting over.

Comments and any research or knowledge is always appreciated. Just want to put some concerns to rest.

What exactly is the "energizer" product?

I think the risk of significant amounts of ethyl carbamate is probably low, but my guess is that it'll taste bad so you won't want to drink it anyway.

1 TSP of DAP per gallon is what I use (up front) for cider, so that should be OK. Except if it was added after about 9% ABV, when the yeast can't assimilate it any more. If there's unused DAP left over you'll definitely know it - it'll taste bitter as hell.

edit: One gram per gallon, not TSP, is what I use. Dunno how that relates to volume.

Thanks for the response you two.

RPh_guy, if it tastes bad then it will be a learning experience that can be handled later so thank you.

Maylar, I've always used measuring spoons, used a scale a few times before it broke across the floor and I havent had an issue with the slight varience of spoons over scaled measurements.

Here's the energized ive been using for years, not fermaid K or O but I have used them for specific recipes.
20200320_083137.jpg

Also, from what Maylar said about DAP not assimilating after 9% abv. I'm ready to learn something new and as I've never heard this I would like to know more if you could link or explain more.

Also, from what Maylar said about DAP not assimilating after 9% abv. I'm ready to learn something new and as I've never heard this I would like to know more if you could link or explain more.

I don't have a link, but it was in a tech session with a Scott Labs PhD and it's a well accepted fact in the mead community. It's probably in one of the podcasts at Gotmead dot com.

Basically they say that yeast cannot assimilate inorganic nitrogen (like DAP) after about 9% ABV and organic nitrogen (Fermaid O) after 10%. I dunno where the numbers came from, but these are the rules that most of us adhere to.

possible carcinogens
There's no possible issue with ethyl carbamate using those products. It comes from excess arginine, of which you added none.

I'm unaware of any other possible carcinogens stemming from the use of yeast nutrients besides ethanol (which has long been a known carcinogen).

Thank you, didn't think it would be an issue but. Had to ask or someone might not be willing to continue with a batch.

Back