To much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endlesssurf

Reaction score
hey.. i encountered a problem yesterday night with my keggerator i showed up late to a party where i was bartender, and they did not know how to hook up the lines so they hooked up a hand pump. after i showed up i hooked up my C02 and there was little beer and all head in the cups i had the regulator to i think 5 psi and tried to fiddle up and down with the knob and nothing got the endless foam to stop. i was wondering what was the cause of this problem and how i can make that not happen again?

probalbly a combination of a shaken keg and overpressure in the keg, did you try to bleed off the pressure in the keg before adjusting your reg?

Wild Beer:

Beer drawn improperly.
Faucets in bad or worn condition.
Kinks, dents, twists or other obstructions in lines near faucets.
Hot spots.
Beer runs that are too long.
Beer that is too warm in the keg.
Too much pressure.
Too little pressure.

The longer or shorter your beer line and the diameter, will determine the amount of pressure you need. The more "resistance" the more pressure you'll need.

I'd say your pressure was too low. Start at 20lbs and decrease from there.

The first thing you should have done was to bleed all extra pressure from the keg. Then open the tap, turn pressure up slowly till you get a pour. Also as said before, look for kinked lines, hot and cold spots.

Hey everybody i had a party last night with the same keggerator and the same problem happened i tried multiple settings on my regulator, purging the tank, and still all foam coming out like milk, it was a new keg and i let it sit in and get to temp. maybe it is some problem with my lines. i listened for leaks couldn't find any. any suggestions?

I had a minor problem with this before I learned about balancing a tap system. Now I use 5 feet of 3/16 hose and keep my keg @12 - 15 PSI

The 3/16 hose has a restriction of 2 #'s per foot so I can keep my keg @ 12psi and only have the beer coming out @ 2 psi

This way the beer stays carbonated at the proper level and I get a good pour

Here is an example of what I'm talking about

Balancing a Tap System - BrewBoard

Q: What do I need to know about pouring foam-free beers?
A: There are three basic things you need to do.
1) Use "Beverage Grade" tubing for the liquid line -- not the "Food Grade" stuff because it has irregularities inside the tubing which will cause the CO2 to come out of solution when dispensing. The Beverage Grade tubing has smoother insides and a thicker wall thickness. I get Beverage grade tubing from Rapids Wholesale Equipment (800-472-7431) great people that'll help you -- they know the draft beer stuff because they supply the bars and pubs with it.
2) Use 3/16" ID tubing for the liquid line because it has the greatest pressure drop when dispensing, therefore, you'll need less line length than if you used a 1/4" ID tubing.
3) You can keep your kegs at the same pressure AND dispense without having to adjust the regulator AND it won't foam. You just need to BALANCE your system.

hope that helps

:mug:

I have changed the length of tubing, changed the tubing played with the psi and still all foam any other suggestions?

Back