To late to transfer to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
I have a beer with a O.G. of 1.41. It's been finished with the primary fermentation for about two weeks now. Is it to late to transfer to secondary? I would like to transfer it and let it, and then let it bulk age in there for about 8-10 months before bottling. But I’m worried about oxidation.

1.041? That seems a bit high to finish; what style is it?

And have you measured gravity over three days to be sure it's done? You could have a stalled fermentation if you transfer too soon.

He said OG was 1.041, not the FG. Well, actually he said "1.41" but that would be insane, so I'll assume 1.041. :D

It's never too late to move to secondary if you want to, but it can be too early. As caphector says, take a gravity reading and make sure it's done and stable. Then if you want to secondary, go for it. Doesn't hurt to leave it longer in the primary though.

He said OG was 1.041, not the FG. Well, actually he said "1.41" but that would be insane, so I'll assume 1.041. :D

No i meant 1.41, I'm trying to make a strong American style barley wine. I added some champaign yeast when the gravity reached 1.037. After adding the champaign yeast it only bubbled a little faster. I have not checked the gravity since then. to be honest, i don't know what the final gravity of a beer that big should be.

So it's never to late to transfer? Even if i wanted to bulk age it for 8 months?

I'd generally wait to transfer until you're sure it's done, but if you're sure it's done then go for it. It won't hurt the beer as long as you're careful. A little bit of CO2 will tend to come out of solution and provide a blanket.

And 1.410 to 1.037? By my calculations, that is ~50% ABV. That seems a tad high to me.

I'd generally wait to transfer until you're sure it's done, but if you're sure it's done then go for it. It won't hurt the beer as long as you're careful. A little bit of CO2 will tend to come out of solution and provide a blanket.

And 1.410 to 1.037? By my calculations, that is ~50% ABV. That seems a tad high to me.

Opps it's 1.141. You can tell I'm still a little new to this. I should have checked my notes before posting. I now see why every one was getting confused..... sorry about that!

I took the first 5 gallons off the mash and added a bunch of extract. I hope it turns out....

Opps it's 1.141. You can tell I'm still a little new to this. I should have checked my notes before posting. I now see why every one was getting confused..... sorry about that!

Doooooooood... you scared me there. 1.141 is still crazy big, but at least it's realistic! :mug:

In that case, I wouldn't push it to secondary just yet. Give it a couple more weeks on the yeast cake and then transfer it over for a looooooong secondary. Then an even longer time in the bottles.

Latest posts

Back