To each his own but fruit doesn't belong in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the beer. Some of them I hate. Some of them I love. There doesn't seem to be an in-between for me.

Fruit beers have their place...and that place is in my belly. I also love wheat beers. Unfortunately so many people just don't know how to make a good fruit beer. It's not as simple as throwing fruit into a beer, and most people are intimidated by it.

I'm on another forum that has nothing to do with beer. One of the other members has just started brewing. Thus far it seems their list of beers to brew or have brewed are cherry weizen, strawberry wheat, raspberry weizen, bueberry...

But like the OP said in the subject line, to each their own. I'm too much of a hop addict to go fruit crazy. Although I do like to brew a wit now and then and I'm polite when someone gifts me with some berry something or other that they think I may like.

Maybe the thread should have been titled: "I have huge man parts! I swear! I will prove it by calling anyone who likes fruit beer a woman." Well, I guess that might have been too long.

Sounds like he's trying to compensate for something. Fruit beers that are well made rock, take the leather jacket off and step out of the convertible OP :p.

I agree. Fruit beers are at the bottom of by "to-brew" list, and I don't ever expect to get to the bottom of that list.

As they should be, because its really hard to make a good one. I've made a couple attempts but nothing quite matches up. There are only a handful that are made that are worth buying and even then its a one and done thing for me. Can't session with it.

I did just have a Shorts Anniversary Ale which is a Blood Orange Wheat Wine that's 11.5%. It was insanely easy to drink and very tasty. Even the wife liked it.

My eyes are open, thanks for the heads up on all the fruit beer (commercial) that I need to try. I have made 2 batches BrandonO's Graff (twenty gallons). It is one gallon of beer then 4 gallons of Applejuice poured on top. Graff gets better the older is gets, don't know if 1/5 beer in a batch can be called beer. I also did about twenty gallons of Wheat/Cherry, Wheat Peaches, Wheat/Peaches/Walnut. I sure liked them alot better than the store boughts I have tried (but I have not had a lot of store bought fruities).

OP says to each his own, and I agree. When I get the brew stand up (I have eight kegs) I will be trying to keep two of them full of Medelo (yes even the Especial). Some guys say it is a waste of time to brew cerveza when it is readily avaliable and cheap at the store, but that is what I want. :mug:

FWIW, I have made a pretty tasty Blackberry Ale that was only DME, Carapils, Liberty hops for bittering, and fresh blackberries, it was damn good.

I just broke one open that I have had for over a year, and the fruit flavor really came through when the beer was allowed to warm a bit. I think the fresh fruit gives it a little more tartness, opposed to the super sweet extract/flavorings that can be added.

I think Extract alone makes a great base for a fruit beer.

Having said that, I have not tried to brew an AG fruit beer yet, I think an American Strawberry Wheat is going to be next, SWMBO is asking for a Strawberry beer. She supports me in my brewing, so the least I can do is make something she wants once in a while.

At any rate, I think fruti beers that are made well have their place, unfortunately not many commercial examples are worthy, that's my .02.

FWIW, I have made a pretty tasty Blackberry Ale that was only DME, Carapils, Liberty hops for bittering, and fresh blackberries, it was damn good.

I just broke one open that I have had for over a year, and the fruit flavor really came through when the beer was allowed to warm a bit. I think the fresh fruit gives it a little more tartness, opposed to the super sweet extract/flavorings that can be added.

I think Extract alone makes a great base for a fruit beer.

Having said that, I have not tried to brew an AG fruit beer yet, I think an American Strawberry Wheat is going to be next, SWMBO is asking for a Strawberry beer. She supports me in my brewing, so the least I can do is make something she wants once in a while.

At any rate, I think fruti beers that are made well have their place, unfortunately not many commercial examples are worthy, that's my .02.

I'm all grain now, and won't look back. Once you get doing AG, is it so much cheaper than paying someone to make the extract. Never did an extract fruity.

I agree on the fresh fruit though. I have a Jack Lalane juicer, it is messy and I have to run it through a few times to get all the pulp, juice. The subtle flavors of the Walnuts and Peaches were so good. I juiced the Walnuts in as well, and froze the juiced stuff, to break the cell walls down then simmered to sterilize and bring flavors out.

Good Stuff Maynard!

I'm all grain now, and won't look back. Once you get doing AG, is it so much cheaper than paying someone to make the extract. Never did an extract fruity.

I agree on the fresh fruit though. I have a Jack Lalane juicer, it is messy and I have to run it through a few times to get all the pulp, juice. The subtle flavors of the Walnuts and Peaches were so good. I juiced the Walnuts in as well, and froze the juiced stuff, to break the cell walls down then simmered to sterilize and bring flavors out.

Good Stuff Maynard!

Same here, when I make fruit beers I freeze the fruit and puree it, (I don't have a juicer), for the same reason breaks the cell walls down and allows the yeast easier access to the sugars contained within.

I also have been brewing AG for about 1 year now, and want to brew a fruit beer to see how it comes out. I did like the extract blackberry beer though, and it was simple enought to do on the stovetop.

I also think that a fairly light/dry beer makes for a better base so the fruit flavor isn't consumed by other grain flavors.

Hopefully I'll get to brew next weekend, and If I do it will be a American Strawberry Wheat. If my results are good, then I'll more than likely only use DME for starters and gravit adjustments if necessary.

Cheers!

I'm adding 3lbs of blackberries to 3gal of an american wheat tomorrow (going to roughly mush them in a pot then pasteurize), the other half of the batch is getting a mix of serrano/panca peppers.

I like fruit in a beer when it's done well... if there's sugar left over I'll hate it. Fruit beer is a love/hate thing for me, there is no in-between.

Btw, OP, we're all laughing at the size of your epeen in feeling the need to create this thread :p Looks like Miller got in your head

All is fair in love and beer.

I don't like over hopping either, but who am i to say that someone else is wrong for their personal preference?

I can't ever seeing myself putting fruit in beer, it is just not my preference. I won't be putting a pound of hops in anything either though. ;)

Maybe I haven't tried enough fruit beers but the ones that I have tried always tasted like crap and/or gave me a serious headache. I mean if I want to drink a fruity alcohol beverage, I'll pick up a gallon of wine or some wine coolers. IMHO malt and fruit don't mix. If you think they do, drink some wine until you got a half decent buzz and then finish off with some beers until you're good and drunk. You will see what happens to you in the morning. No fruit in beers for this homebrewer.

What you said (above) reminds me of a German saying (loosely translated):

Beer then wine is fine
Wine then beer, fear.

You know, excluding lambics, krieks, etc., I used to agree with OP. Then what turned me around was New Belgium's Frambozen. It's a brown ale with rasberries that tastes chocolately, fruity, and not even a little bit sweet. I look for it every winter now...oh yeah, it's also a gorgeous reddish-brown color.

I have not attempted fruit in a beer (outside of orange peel) yet, but do plan to try a blackberry porter with some blackberries my parents always bring from Washingtion every summer.

I'm sorry, I just can't believe that you are not deliberately attempting to antagonize. The more you talk, the more I want to throw every little bit of fruit in my house into every batch of beer I have in carboys. :rockin:

At first I accepted your point opinion and point of view but the more you continue to crack and your insults get more pointed, I have a feeling you are trolling.

I agree as on I personally don't like fruit in beer outside BM's wit bier. Orange peel in a wit is as far as I go with fruit in beer. I prefer lime in corona, but I also prefer avoiding corona.

when I think fruit beers, the ones that pop into my head are some amazing ones... Russian River Consecration and supplication. DFH aprihop and festina peche... you simply just aren't drinking the right fruit beers.

So no priming sugar, no force carbing, no finings, no minerals, no anti-foam in your brewery? Must be a challenge to stay so pure.

How can force carbing be in violation? I suppose it can be interpreted that way.

But I have to agree, since I quit using dextrose, I prime with DME and force carb. Up until very recently I have never tried clearing agent in my beer either. I tried Irish Moss once on an experimental batch and may try it again.
I have no issues personally with adding fruit or chocolate or whatever you want to your brew, but I have yet to find an additive I like.

It always amuses me when Reinheitsgebot comes up in these threads like Germans invented beer or something.

How boring this hobby would be were there not all those other great styles to sample and brew.

I agree, if it doesn't suit your taste, don't drink it. I've had some fantastic fruit beers. The fruit flavor is in balance with the beer, doesn't work against it, even compliments it. I like it but that is my pallet. Some people don't and that's ok. Leaves more for me...!

I was headed to Linden today and was going to bring you a bottle of Kriek but I think it would be wasted.

Hey Bobby_M. You can drop by anytime. We've met if you remember. I came to your house awhile back for a group buy and sampled some of your brews. I believe you had either a Flanders Ale or an Octoberfest that was killer.

BTW: What is a troll?

BTW: What is a troll?

3428367357_8978fc0915.jpg

As a rule I am not a fan of wheat beers. But I think they are better with some fruit in them. I guess it just appeals to my feminine side. Not that I would choose a fruity wheat very often with a Hop Bomb or Stout as an option.

I just made an Apricot Wheat that I find is a nice summer brew. I have some apricot left over I may have to make a Apricot IPA. I can always give it away but I think I might like it. I already have more beer than I know what to do with.

Its hazy, hot and humid here and I'm enjoying an Apricot Wheat right now. I brewed it for my daughter, but much to my surprise... I like it! Its dry, not sweet and very refreshing. As the wild black raspberries are starting to ripen, I'm planning on a Raspberry Wheat. Fruited beers (or wheats for that matter) are not likely to be a regular part of my brewing rotation, but I'm glad I didn't write them off based on the commercial examples I've tried.

Its hazy, hot and humid here and I'm enjoying an Apricot Wheat right now. I brewed it for my daughter, but much to my surprise... I like it! Its dry, not sweet and very refreshing. As the wild black raspberries are starting to ripen, I'm planning on a Raspberry Wheat. Fruited beers (or wheats for that matter) are not likely to be a regular part of my brewing rotation, but I'm glad I didn't write them off based on the commercial examples I've tried.

I've never had a wheat beer, or a fruit beer, that I liked. I'm not crazy about sours, either.

I'm not a fan, but I recognize that others like them. The funny thing to me is being called a "girl" for liking fruit beers. My friends and I do NOT like fruit beers. One of my friends is into roasty stouts, and another is a fan of amber lagers. I'm an IPA girl myself.

It always amuses me when Reinheitsgebot comes up in these threads like Germans invented beer or something.

How boring this hobby would be were there not all those other great styles to sample and brew.

Reinheitsgebot was one of the worst things to happen to brewing, I think it's real motivation was just to enforce taxes anyway. Having such a black and white view of things is terrible.

festina peche

The fruit flavor is what I would want in a good fruit beer, but it's missing something. It's no where near tart enough for one. It's missing something in the flavor department, I'm trying to compare it to 1809 though that might not be fair to DFH.

I'd drink it, but I don't think I'm running out to buy another 4 pack. Fruit flavor is good though.

I can't stand a wheat beer and have yet to taste a good fruit beer, however, if my palate memory serves me well, I can see a fruity wheat beer being very tasty.

I can't stand a wheat beer and have yet to taste a good fruit beer, however, if my palate memory serves me well, I can see a fruity wheat beer being very tasty.

My favorite beer is "beer in hand", everything from RISs to IPAs to Berliner weiss. Even if I don't love it I'll give it a shot or two; though poorly made beers are poorly made.

I wonder if OP thinks Jalapeno Pepper beer is not a real beer? I was thinking of doing a small gallon batch or so of it and see what the hoop pla is all about.

I wonder if OP thinks Jalapeno Pepper beer is not a real beer? I was thinking of doing a small gallon batch or so of it and see what the hoop pla is all about.

I recently tried a bottle of Horsehead Brewing Jalapeno Beer. Split a bomber with my son. After my first taste I started to think about how to use the hot peppers I was growing in the garden.... by the time I finished the glass, I decided it was best enjoyed in small doses. I'll save my peppers for chili.

I've never had a wheat beer, or a fruit beer, that I liked.

I hear you. I've tried Hefe's, Witte's, and fruited wheats and I thought they were uninteresting, bland or too sweet. Who knows... I may hate the next one I brew. But, somehow this one works. I did use apricot extract, rather than the real thing, so that might be a factor.... more a fruit flavored than a fruit beer.

Maybe I haven't tried enough fruit beers but the ones that I have tried always tasted like crap and/or gave me a serious headache.

To each their own. I've had a LOT of fruit beers that taste like crap, but the good ones are some of the most spectacular beers I've ever had. Most recent was Hangar 24's Second Anniversary beer. It tasted like a pale ale base (in terms of color and hoppiness) with apple cider, caramelized sugar and Belgian yeast added.

Some really bad ones:
Anything by Seadog
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat
Eel River Acai beer
Almost anything strawberry or watermelon come to think of it

Some really good ones:
Lost Abbey Framboise
McMenamins Ruby
Dogfish Head Aprihop
Blue Skies Arrowhead Apricot (if I do say so myself)

Back