To dry hop or not to dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan_man

Reaction score
Today I stopped by a brew shop and they had a sale on hops. So I got an once of Apollo, Columbus,comet,chinook,simcoe and summit. I have a triple ipa fermenting right now and The question is should I dry hop will all the these? Would it be too much? I'm looking for a dank flavor.

If you use them all it might be hard to distinguish the flavors, I'd pick two or three at most that complement each other.

If you use them all it might be hard to distinguish the flavors, I'd pick two or three at most that complement each other.

I agree with that........ A random pile of hops is not in my opinion the way to hop a beer. I rarely use more than 3 hops including a bittering hop, and with 60 brews in the last 13 months, a significant number of them single hop, I'm beginning to get a feel of what goes together well, and which combinations produce a character I like. Examine what each hop offers, and why it should be included. There are many hops resources on line. There are a couple of well thought out commercially available blends available, both of which would make a good beer alone, or make a foundation you can customize, adding the character you want.

H.W.

IMO use enough Columbus and you'll get dank. Add a little Chinook or Simcoe to round it out. Save the rest for another day.

Back