To Dry Hop or Not To Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theblaster

Reaction score
I'm trying a little experiment that I am sure many others have tried in one form or another. I am brewing the same beer back to back with one variation, one of the hop additions.

I've been a fan of Sorachi Ace. I think... So I am brewing two beers one with Sorachi and one with Amarillo at the 5 min addition mark. Glacier for bittering (which I understand to be fairly clean and neutral - and I happen to have a few ounces laying around). Cascade at 10 min Citra at the 1 min mark. (everything in 1 oz measures)

Extract (6lbs pilsner malt, 1 pound of corn sugar 2 days after fermentation starts), flavoring grains, etc. WLP 001 (with starter).

ABV of 5.8, 33 IBU

Hopefully the difference in flavor will be noticeable and help me dial in on the difference between the hops.

My question is, should I dry hop as well? Or would that just add one too many variables to the test? And if I dry hop, should I dry hop with SA in the SA batch and Amarillo in the Amarillo batch...

It would probably be better not to dry hop first so you have a control for your experiment. Then make another couple batches with dry hopping as you planned (SA with the SA batch, etc.) and see how they compare with the originals. Usually when I'm experimenting with stuff I'll make 1 to 3 gallon batches (depending on how far off the beaten path I'm planning to get) as it makes it cheap and quick.

The dryhop tends to dominate the hop character of an IPA. A flameout/whirlpool consisting of vastly different flavored hops will add some hop complexity to the final beer, but the dryhop hops will still dominate. That fresh dryhop flavor/aroma is always the most apparent on the palate/nose for me.

Back