To drink while brewing or not to drink.. That is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkley990

Reaction score
So I've recently gotten into homebrewing.. It's something I've always been curious about but never took the plunge. Well this year I put a homebrew kit on my Christmas wish list and my awesome in-laws got me a mr beer deluxe kit. Oh man they have no idea what they have started.. With 100% support of my wife.. The brew room has grown to 4 fermenters (3 plastic buckets and 1 glass Carboy) 100's of bottles and supply's for another 3 batches. Obsessed you ask? Needless to say I'm hooked.. I even picked up my first 5 gallon mash tun for when I take the leap into all grain.
Anyway to my headline question.. How many of you home brewers enjoy a cold brew while brewing. I know its standard to crack open a hombrew while brewing but I think I'm going to have to start working my beers Into my brew schedule. I'm finding I'm hammered by the end of my brewing days and have to re-write my notes the next morning to make sense of it.
Anyone in the same boat?

I always drink during brewdays. I stick to only one beer throughout the 4 hour day or a couple of sessionable brews.

I usually drink 3-4 beers on the sessionable side of things throughout the process. Maybe more, maybe less, though I never get hammered out - a light buzz, tops. I start screwing things up beyond that.

Oh man, maybe I am the crazy one! I normally start about 8pm, after swmbo and my son go to bed. I start having beers about the same time. I probably have about 4-6 depending. I think a good buzz when I am brewing gives me more creative inspiration. My beers always end up with extra hops, extra corn sugar, extra whatever, sometimes all of the above and generally turn out pretty good. I have found that it is pretty hard to screw up, so may as well have a little more fun along the way. I try not to get loaded, but may as well enjoy the scientific reactions I am coordinating!

I drink a lot during brew day....usually get drunk too. But, I do not start drinking until the boil pot is on the burner. Since I clean as I go, most of the work is done by then, and I am still able to see my hydrometer with both eyes open at the end of the boil. I must admit I usually continue drinking after all is done too. :cross:

I drink home brew when brewing home brew.

A typical brew day starts in the AM with firing up the WSM for some Low n Slow BBQ and I start with coffee. About mid day I start brewing and tap the home brew.

The better question is when do we Not drink it?! I've got to get rid of my beer as fast as possible so I can brew more! This means a daily effort for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If brewing is my task for the day, I drink lightly while brewing. If I'm whipping up something relatively quick to get out of my place and partake in plans for the afternoon elsewhere, I do not. If I've got plans much later on (brewing in morning, dinner plans) I may have a drink. It really does matter on personal preference and when you've got the chance to brew.

The better question is when do we Not drink it?! I've got to get rid of my beer as fast as possible so I can brew more! This means a daily effort for me.
I share this burden.

Prior to brewing, I carefully measure everything out and print out my brew steps. I have my iPad with brew smith timer going also. At that point it's pretty hard to screw up so I drink away!

Brewing is too much of an investment of my time and money to drink a lot while I brew. In warmer months I'll have a beer or two towards the end of a brew day; recently it has been colder than a polar bear's balls and I dislike having a cold glass in my hand in that situation.

I'd say 80% of my brewdays are stone sober and the remaining 20% are not. I usually brew super early in the morning. On those rare afternoon/evening brewdays, I'll have a couple but I try to wait until things are mostly cleaned up and the chiller is on.

Itchygomey I think your onto something there... I think I'll start measuring out everything before hand in clean, sanitized containers. With a good recipe and timers... Even if I am hammered... What can go wrong! Thanks!

Itchygomey I think your onto something there... I think I'll start measuring out everything before hand in clean, sanitized containers. With a good recipe and timers... Even if I am hammered... What can go wrong! Thanks!

Totally! In my house getting blitzed is considered a pre-requisite for handling gallons of boiling sugar water on a hot stove:D.

No seriously, I'm a real lightweight so I hang off on the drinking until near the end of the process. I brew in my kitchen but ferment in my basement. I'm really clumsy so I need to be pretty much stone cold sober to make sure the wort gets down the stairs in the intended manner.

I think drinking a home-brew while home-brewing is a fun and fulfilling part of the process. They key is to keep it to a dull roar and not negatively impact your process.

Through trial and error I've determined that my brew day goes best when I wait until the boil to have a home-brew. Your results may vary.

I'm with the OP on this one... I wait until the chiller is in the BK before cracking one open. If I don't, I'll be making a sloppy mess of my basement. I find that my brew day goes smoother, I make all my times, I take notes, I take readings, and I clean things up better if I'm sober.

I am surprised no one brought up safety.... Just take a look on this forum at the injuries caused by glass carboys. I would say if you are going to be handling one of those bad boy's don't drink. Personally I have had one or two while brewing anymore than that risks someone or something and I don't use glass. :drunk:

I also hold off until the boil. I find that it is too easy to skip steps or otherwise screw things up if I start imbibing too soon. Plus it makes cleanup more of a PITA when I have that much of a buzz.

Not usually, maybe one depending on what time of day it is. I used too but always made some mistake. Plus, most people on here are waiting until the boil but I would be more concerned with post boil: sanitation, safety, proper pitch rates, oxygenation. Why go through all the trouble if you are going to screw up the most important part?

Bottling on the other hand...always

If I'm by myself I tend to either not drink, or have 1-2. If I drink, I hold off until the boil starts. Sometimes I'll stand there waiting for the first bubble so I can crack one open. I'd say I don't drink about 50% of the time. Depends on my mood.

If I'm brewing with a friend - forget it. We start with a cup of coffee, then move right into the beer. Usually throw a pizza in there too. We're pretty lit by the time we're done. Bottling sessions are even worse.

I do a lot of prep work, so I always have my grains, hops, water additions. and adjuncts measured and pre-packaged with times written on them prior to brewing. I also have my plan laid out and ready to go. I do that the night before so I have little to think about on brew day. About the worst that might happen is I forget to clean something in advance.

I usuallly brew early in the morning, so I really don't drink. I do usually bottle during the mash so I usually have a glass of the gravity sample to sip on while bottling.

The only time I ever seem to have available to brew is Friday nights, after the baby is asleep around 8. So, Friday nights, after a long work week, it seems only fitting to have a beer or 7. I never get blitzed, but it gives me something to do while staring at wort boil. Besides, have to make room in the kegs for more beer right?!

Brew day.

Once the mash is done and is in the kettle I get it to a boil with fermcap added once it starts. I get everything that has to be cleaned off like the chiller ready then sanitize (StarSan) all the other stuff (spoons, hydrometer..etc.) and put them in the sanitized fermenter.

A quick check on the boil and there's time enough for quick lunch and a beer.

Add hops according to schedule and after everything is chilled and in the fermenter it's time to clean up and enjoy another.

bosco

Always good to enjoy a couple brews during brew day. Especially if they are from a previous batch. Don't over indulge though as it is much more rewarding to nail the current brew right on the head than to get a little drunk throughout the process. Happy home brewing!

I even consider it a bit of a superstition. I've caught myself half way through the boil without a homebrew in hand and pan iced to the fridge with opener in hand.

Also when I bottle I always crack one then clean that bottle out hey well and use it in that bottling session.

I usually have one or two during a brew session. I find it puts me in a better, more positive mood and helps me focus on the process rather than think about the rest of life's petty problems. Never dropped a glass carboy but I've had a few other minor disasters that, oddly enough, seem to occur most often while NOT drinking but being distracted by other thoughts when I should be focusing on the process.

I have only made two extract batches, but so far I'll have one or two while I'm brewing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Typically.... I drink a decent amount. It really depends on who all is over at the time and what beer specifically I have in the fridge.

When I first started brewing many years ago I was told it's a law that you have to have a homebrew while you are brewing. When I'm brewing by myself I usually only have one, but I always observe the law.

I do mostly Extract with steeping gains recipes....
I have two or three AG recipes i do, but not as often.

As a matter of keeping a clear head, ie. not F*cking up the beer
Whether it is 3 hours or 5 hours of my time.

I do not have a beer until the wort is chilling, and about to go into the bucket.
I will have more than one beer while cleaning up my mess !
:mug:

( I also tend to brew early in the AM as well, and it does not look to good to be on your 2nd beer before 11am on a Saturday ! )

Back