To drink or not to drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmaz

Reaction score
Hey, we had a small problem and i thought i could get some opinions from the board here.

Our basement flooded (and i mean flooded--around two feet of water) and we had two corny kegs nearly full of beer tip over and remain submerged for a number of hours. Both had picnic taps attached on the out side but nothing on the gas side. They are both ball lock, if that makes a difference.

Would you drink the beer? They are watertight, no?

Were they pressurized?
I'm guessin' yes, since "full of beer"

Of course I would at least sample a pint!...........

It's that, or dump ten gallons....................(Don't do it, Man!)

Edit: were they floating at all, or "sunk" as you say?

Either way, try it.

If your kegs dont leak out and pressure was still in the keg I see no reason to not clean and re-sanitize the posts, tubing, and taps, and have at it. Flood water shoulda been rather cool so you should be okay there. Just clean the keg tops, posts, and tubing really well. Basements tend to get some nasty stuff mixed around in them when they flood.

Hey, we had a small problem...

If that's your definition of a "small problem" then I do not envy your life at all.

But to stay on topic - I would do as others have said, clean all the exterior parts that were exposed to the flood water and drink. Better yet, host a party where your friends can help you drink the beer if they help clean up :)

Flood water usually contains all kinds of human pathogens. Be extra diligent in cleaning/sanitizing everything contacting the flood water, including your kegs and dispensing gear.

Agree with the others, if the kegs maintained positive pressure through the flood, I'd drink it up.

Hmm... I'd definitely replace the beer hose and picnic tap. Then the outsides would get cleaned and sanitized. But I'm really not sure I'd drink them if I was in the same situation.

Last time i checked 2' of water in the basement was considered more than a "small problem".

I bet you're fine, but I'd thoroughly clean and sanitize the exteriors before tapping again.

Back