To do a second fermentation or not to do a second fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LWes

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to making wine. For a couple of years I've been getting these simple 1-week wine kits that always gives a great result. But that was in Sweden, and now I live in Canada. So I bought a 4-week wine kit for the first time; it's a white wine if that matters.
Well the instructions are much more complicated than any wine I've made before. You're supposed to do a second fermentation in a carboy, and then transfer it into a second carboy.
I don't have a carboy, I just have the bucket for the primary fermentation. So my question to you experienced wine makers, is should I buy a carboy and all this stuff (I really don't have a lot of money), or can the wine still turn out alright without that?
What happens if I just leave it in the primary fermentation bucket until the fermentation stops?
I'd appreciate any advise. The brand of the wine kit is "Vino Italiano" if anyone has used that.
Thanks!

Howdy LWes. I am a winemaker for a winery in Washington State, read your post and thought I would comment. The secondary fermentation they are probably talking about is malolactic fermentation, which converts the malic acid in your wine to lactic acid. This makes the wine both less acidic, and gives it a little smoother/fuller mouthfeel. It can also add some buttery flavors to your final wine. I have never made wine from a kit before, only from the real deal, so I am not exactly sure on how those (kits) work.

Here is what I would suggest: It is up to you if you want this secondary fermentation to take place. You definitely do not HAVE to do it. However, you do need some vessel to store/rack the wine in that will not allow oxygen in, or you will end up with vinegar/sherry. Purchase one carboy, that should be all you need, and then you can use your fermentation vessel and your carboy for racking back and forth. Finish your primary fermentation, rack off the lees into your carboy, and then decide if you want to do your secondary fermentation. The simple way would be to NOT do the secondary fermentation. If you go this route (the simple one), once you have racked to your carboy, add 4#/1000 gallons bentonite, and 35 ppm K-metabisulfite. Let the wine settle for a couple weeks (preferably somewhere cold, as close to 0' C as possible), and then rack off the solids back to your fermentation vessel. At this point you could bottle it (I would add another 10 ppm K-metabisulfite or so), or you could rack it back into your cleaned and sanitized carboy and "age" it for a few months before you bottle.

Let me know if you have any questions and what you end up doing.

Howdy LWes. I am a winemaker for a winery in Washington State, read your post and thought I would comment. The secondary fermentation they are probably talking about is malolactic fermentation, which converts the malic acid in your wine to lactic acid. This makes the wine both less acidic, and gives it a little smoother/fuller mouthfeel. It can also add some buttery flavors to your final wine. I have never made wine from a kit before, only from the real deal, so I am not exactly sure on how those (kits) work.

Here is what I would suggest: It is up to you if you want this secondary fermentation to take place. You definitely do not HAVE to do it. However, you do need some vessel to store/rack the wine in that will not allow oxygen in, or you will end up with vinegar/sherry. Purchase one carboy, that should be all you need, and then you can use your fermentation vessel and your carboy for racking back and forth. Finish your primary fermentation, rack off the lees into your carboy, and then decide if you want to do your secondary fermentation. The simple way would be to NOT do the secondary fermentation. If you go this route (the simple one), once you have racked to your carboy, add 4#/1000 gallons bentonite, and 35 ppm K-metabisulfite. Let the wine settle for a couple weeks (preferably somewhere cold, as close to 0' C as possible), and then rack off the solids back to your fermentation vessel. At this point you could bottle it (I would add another 10 ppm K-metabisulfite or so), or you could rack it back into your cleaned and sanitized carboy and "age" it for a few months before you bottle.

Let me know if you have any questions and what you end up doing.

This is 100% correct for making wine from grapes. However a kit is very simple if you follow the instructions. When they talk about secondary fermentation in a kit they are talking more about the vessel than the actual fermentation. Meaning they want you to transfer the wine to a secondary vessel, and allow it to finish out fermentation in order to reduce the risk of oxidization. Kits do not have you go through malolactic fermentation because the acidity is already in balance when you get the juice.

In short get yourself a carboy and follow the instructions and you will make some pretty good wine.

Alright, thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I guess I'll have to get myself a carboy; I hope the home brewing store around the corner has one that's not too expensive.
I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just make cheap alcohol. It sure beats having to drink forties of 10% beer, and everyone has always really liked the wine I've made.
I intend to move away from the wine kits and just make stuff from scratch, but all in due time!

What do you guys know about making wine that's done and ready to drink in only one week? There were wine kits for that back in Sweden and it worked great, but looking around the internet I haven't seen anything like it.

Alright, thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I guess I'll have to get myself a carboy; I hope the home brewing store around the corner has one that's not too expensive.

Do you have Craig's list where you are? If so, check that before going to the LHBS. I found my first two carboys that way for about half what they were going for at LHBS. You can't always find them, but it's worth a shot.

Do you have Craig's list where you are? If so, check that before going to the LHBS. I found my first two carboys that way for about half what they were going for at LHBS. You can't always find them, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!

Back