To bottle, or not to bottle...that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Jamil's AG dunkelweizen has been in primary for two weeks. SG was 1050 (expected 1054); I'm right at the expected FG (per BeerSmith) of 1012. I pitched one Pure Pack of WLP 300 without a starter, and didn't aerate. For the entire two weeks. it's been at a very constant 62º.

So here's the thing. I'm still getting a "bloop" from the 1" blowoff every 40 or 41 seconds, almost like clockwork; it can even be heard when the chest freezer is closed. Makes me wonder if it still has a little to go. I had meant to take a reading a couple days ago but never got around to it. Think it might need a little more time?

You can't really tell until you get consistent readings. It sounds like it still fermenting.

If you are still getting a "bloop", sounds like its not done. Give it a little more time, IMHO

The only way to know is to take gravity readings on two separate days. If they're the same then its ready, if not then wait. Remember, airlock activity is for entertainment purposes only...

Cheers!

Remember, airlock activity is for entertainment purposes only...

Cheers!

Well said..and understood! The regular timing over several minutes did make me think it might be indicative. Giving it until tomorrow, will check again, and the following day if need be.

Thanks all!

Sounds like it's just off-gassing. Package it.

I know Jamil says to ferment this at 62° but he was using Wyeast 3068 which has an optimal range of 64 - 75. Your WLP 300 optimum fermentation range is 68 -72. He is only 2° away from the manufacturers minimum while you are 6° off. It may be interesting to see what happens making the same recipe but fermenting within the ranges suggested by the yeast manufacturer.

I know Jamil says to ferment this at 62° but he was using Wyeast 3068 which has an optimal range of 64 - 75. Your WLP 300 optimum fermentation range is 68 -72. He is only 2° away from the manufacturers minimum while you are 6° off.
Uh oh. Prepare for thread derailment.

I've made incredible hefeweizen with WLP300 by fermenting below the listed range. Ignore the white labs suggestion and figure out what temp works best with your process and to your taste. Pitching rate, aeration, mash steps, mash pH, etc all play a role, supposedly.

Anyway, yeah, check gravity reading to determine when to bottle. Simple.

P.S. Pass me a bottle Mr. Jones!

Last edited:
+1 I've had great success with wlp300 at 62f. A bit slow to start due to low temp and under pitching but yeast flavour is delicious.

Uh oh. Prepare for thread derailment.

I've made incredible hefeweizen with WLP300 by fermenting below the listed range. Ignore the white labs suggestion and figure out what temp works best with your process and to your taste. Pitching rate, aeration, mash steps, mash pH, etc all play a role, supposedly.

Anyway, yeah, check gravity reading to determine when to bottle. Simple.

P.S. Pass me a bottle Mr. Jones!

I merely suggested it would make a good experiment to try different fermentation temperatures.

5 gallon batch? What is White Labs claiming for cell counts now in the new packs. Was it an underpitch? How long did it take to start. If it took 3 days to start you are only on day 10 or 11.

Could be slow from an underpitch, no aeration and too cool fermentation temperature.

5 gallon batch? What is White Labs claiming for cell counts now in the new packs. Was it an underpitch? How long did it take to start. If it took 3 days to start you are only on day 10 or 11.

Could be slow from an underpitch, no aeration and too cool fermentation temperature.

There's more HERE, but essentially "In our production, we allow for cell counts of 2.0 to 3.0 billion per milliliter which will produce 80 to 120 billion total cells if 40 mL. We target the high range of cell counts and fill volumes in our production and packaging processes. However as stated above, the reality of cell biology is that those numbers will vary."

Yes, it was a deliberate underpicth without aeration. Discernible fermentation started about 24 36 hours later.

I'm not an extremely technical brewer, although the beer that I brew comes out consistent. I allow every beer to completely finish fermentation. I ferment for 7 days or so at suggested temp for the particular yeast that I'm using. I then ramp the temp up to 70 for 2 weeks. At that point, all activity has ceased. I then drop the temp to 34 for 2 weeks to cold crash. I've been brewing that way for nearly 20 years and it's always resulted in great beer. Of course, I'm not trying to win contests, just trying to brew beer that tastes good to me. You may want to refer to the recipe and the directions for the particular recipe that you're trying to brew. Maybe your recipe will suggest that you stop fermentation at a particular gravity, regardless if fermentation has completed or not. To me though, I'd think that I would want fermentation to completely finish. Especially if I'm going to bottle the beer.

Back