To Boil or not to Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
I'm going to be putting on my first batch of home brew this weekend. I purchased a can of India Ale from my local dealer.

Reading the instructions it mentions to take the contents of the can and mix the contents with 4 litres of hot water then add Dextrose (1 kg), put it in the mixing container and at cold water upto 23 litres. To me this all makes sense.

A buddy at work, who has done this before, kept mentioning about boil the can contents, but I cannot find anywhere in the instructions any information about boiling...........only "Hot water".

Should I just follow the written instructions, or is boil something that just has to be done and I should do it.

The beer kit is "Morgan's ---- Canadian India Pale Ale"

Please help me settle this!!!

Thanks,

This is the top line under "Procedure" on the instructions that my LHBS gives out.

LHBS said:
To avoid disasters, ignore the directions on the can of malt extract!!! These are invariably poor dirctions, at best, and atrocious, at worst!
Give me ten minutes, and I'll cite you ten more books, articles, etc., that say the same thing.

I'd say go to your LHBS and talk to them, but it sounds like they're the ones that let you leave without adequate instructions in the first place. Just hang on here a minute and someone will show up with what you need to add. In the meantime...start reading this.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, Don't worry, be happy, have a brew. :cool:

for what it's worth, i've only ever followed the instructions on the tin, and have never had any problems (about to bottle batch 7 tonight). i don't know what boiling it can do extra for you - the stuff in the can is already sterile.
also, i've used kits from coopers, muntons, brewferm, woodfordes and others, and they all follow the same procedure - never once have i seen one that suggests to deviate and boil.

My 1st ever batch was a LME based recipe. I had to boil but it also had me steeping and adding hop pellets...

Since never using a "beer in a can" I can't provide too much here but I'd suspect boiling would aide in getting nasties (if any) out of your water and would provide a more thorough mix with the syrup. There's no other reason that I can think of to say "boil" than these unless you're going to add hops then you'd have to. Sounds optional to me as well. Would I boil? Yep...

is it a hopped malt extract? or are you adding hops? if it's hopped extract, and you are not adding any additional hops, you will slowly loose the hop aroma, but not the bitter, as you boil. so boil it for twenty minutes or so. just to make sure your water is sterile. you will also get some hot break, which will help with a bit clearer beer, though extract is usually very clear anyway.

if you are adding hops in any form, then you must boil it to get the oils out of the hops you need.

Your work friend may be suggesting that you boil simply to make the consistency thinner and therefore easier to pour out. I usually dunk by cans of extract in hot water for extended periods (fifteen minutes or so) to accomplish that.

In any case, I think that it would be unwise to boil ANY closed can for any reason.

I agree with SteveM. No boiling of the can contents is necessary..this has already been done for you in the preparation of the hopped malt extract. Standing the cans in hot water just makes the contents easier to pour.

After further consideration I recant my comment as well. T1 had it right, if it is prehopped then further boiling may take away from the flavor/aroma.

i would boil too, and add hops, even if the extract was hopped... but you will be fine not boiling the extract, per the instructions.

Back