To anyone who uses an immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
Do you cover it and cut a notch out of the lid or just leave it uncovered?

I leave mine uncovered, but I brew in a fairly "clean" environment. I don't have a lid for my kettle so its not an issue. If you have the ability to cut a notch in your lid to fit your chiller, go ahead and do it. It certainly can't hurt.

I have a notch cut in the lid of my kettle. If I didn't I think I would cover it with something like foil perhaps.

I've notched an old lid. fits pretty well and easy to slip on and off. Also have a 3000' roll of plastic/food wrap from Costco that I use to cover stuff after cleaning. Also wrap whatever was just sanatized. Not something I obsess over, but SWMBO wanted the smaller roll and now I own 3000':mug:

I have an old screen window that I put over the top of the keggle during chilling in spring and early summer when there's a lot of crap in the air and in fall when the leaves are falling. Otherwise, I generally don't bother, or else a lay a jelly-roll pan over the top of the keggle (it mostly covers).

I think this falls within whatever your general level of infeciton paranoia is. I used to go on faith with an open top because I always had to fiddle with my chiller as beer4 does. Then I noticed that if you get your wort spinning (whirlpooling) just prior to running the chiller, you can cover it for the whole cooling process. At that point, I notched my lid so it's one less potential exposure.

No lid, I actually "stir" the wort with my chiller to keep the wort moving over the coils. This seems to help me cool much faster. Also, if I don't "stir" I have a hard time getting to 70*F.

Stir your wort to the point where it's all spinning really well (without frothing). Put the lid on and let the chiller run. I used to do the wiggle the chiller thing too to break up the zones but nothing chills as fast as whirlpooling. I used a cutoff wheel on my grinder to notch the lid. It took a few seconds and I followed up with a little sandpaper to dull the edges. Before I notched it, I'd just set it down a little off center. At least 80% of the opening is shielding wild yeast.

magno said:
I cover mine with aluminum foil as it cools.

- magno
Same here. A double thickness of heavy duty AF. I crimp it tightly around the edge, then place the lid on it at an angle.

When I cooled outside I cut a notch in the lid. Too many gulls flying around at times and why take a chance on a contribution from one of them when a cover works fine.
Now I cool inside, so my paranoia is not justified.

I have mine permanently installed inside my keggle.

Do you think it is bad for the wort to have the copper coils in the boiling kettle at all times? I figured since there are copper kettles why not just keep them in there.

After a brew that tasted like broccli - licorice when someone close by was cutting grass, I built an electric system and brew indoors. No lid on my BK, but I do use one on the HLT to help hold heat.

After a brew that tasted like broccli - licorice when someone close by was cutting grass, I built an electric system and brew indoors. No lid on my BK, but I do use one on the HLT to help hold heat.
I see I'm not the only one reading old threads...

Someone cutting grass nearby gave your beer broccoli/licorice off-flavors? Haven't heard that one before. Were they directing the mower's discharge chute right at your brew kettle?

Super blast from the past! Looks like I used to cover with aluminum foil... I also recall using the lid to cover as much of the top as it could without a notch cut out... but I've been using a plate chiller for several years now (with the lid on).

Depends on whether I am brewing on the back deck outside or if I'm in the garage. Typically, I have the lid on, not notched, until i give the IC a good swirl to promote the whirlpool action to chill down faster. Even with my home built 20" 3/8" copper IC, I can chill down to 70F in about 45 minutes, with the lid on

My BrewBuilt kettle came with a notched lid. I put that on and wrap a starsan soaked rag around it to completely plug the opening. I worry less about it in the winter, but it's just part of my process now.

I used to brew in the driveway, now I brew in the garage.

Back