Tired of pouring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
Getting quite tired of pouring full 5.5 gal batches from my megapot into the bucket.. Also, id like to use whirfloc to siphon clear wort from the kettle leaving hop gunk and that fluffy white whirfloc trub behind. So:

My 10 gal megapot has no valve and I'm willing to put one in. My main question is, will the hop blocker block out that fluffy weird whirfloc protein coagulated mess? Or will it just sift right through the blocker or any other device? Also, any recommendation on which valve, bulkhead, pickup tube etc. I might need would also be greatly appreciated.

duckmanco said:
Getting quite tired of pouring full 5.5 gal batches from my megapot into the bucket.. Also, id like to use whirfloc to siphon clear wort from the kettle leaving hop gunk and that fluffy white whirfloc trub behind. So:

My 10 gal megapot has no valve and I'm willing to put one in. My main question is, will the hop blocker block out that fluffy weird whirfloc protein coagulated mess? Or will it just sift right through the blocker or any other device? Also, any recommendation on which valve, bulkhead, pickup tube etc. I might need would also be greatly appreciated.

You can always siphon clear wort from your kettle to your bucket.

Get this and mate it to a 3 piece [SS] ball valve on the outside. Only other thing you'll need is one (or two) flat washers and either o-rings or silicone gaskets (all available from the same site)... NO bulkhead is needed, and [IMO] is a waste of money in a weldless setup. The side pickup will help leave some behind, depending on how you set it.

BTW, I really wouldn't worry about the trub getting into primary. The hot, and cold, break material is actually good for the brew (the yeast will eat it).

Back