Tired Hands - Sir Dudley Banana French Toast Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the inspiration for my brew - Tired Hands - Sir Dudley Banana French Toast

This was simply the greatest beer I've ever had in my life. They served it at cask temperatures and was basically like drinking beer for breakfast. I'm going to use the Newcastle Brown Ale recipe as my base and then I need to sort out how to add vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup and bananas. My biggest concern is making bottle bombs with maple syrup... Here are my thoughts on each flavor and technique to achieve each, as always advice is appreciated!

Vanilla - boil 1/2 cup of water and add in sliced vanilla bean and internal bean scrapings. After 2 minutes on being on the boil, remove and allow Vanilla to steep for 1-2 days prior to adding to fermenter.
Cinnamon - boil 1/2 cup of water and add in cinnamon sticks. After 2 minutes on being on the boil, remove and allow cinnamon to steep for 1-2 days prior to adding to fermenter.
Maple Syrup - bottle condition with 180 grams of grade b maple syrup instead of corn sugar - OR - add 8 fl oz to fermentation after 3 days of primary fermentation and prime with corn sugar.
Bananas - use frozen bananas and allow to warm to room temperature, refreeze and warm back to room temperature. Add after 3 days of primary fermentation.

Last edited:
I think I would opt for adding the maple syrup to the fermentor after primary fermentation. Confirm primary is over and maybe leave it 3 weeks to make sure the yeast has had a chance to do its thing on the sugar. Do you think the original got its banana and vanilla flavor from actual banana and vanilla? I am not a big fan of adding fruit and stuff to the fermentor because of contamination risk, but give it a shot. I had a colleague that brewed a batch with fruit, blueberry, I think. He washed/soaked the fruit in vodka before adding to the secondary and racking the beer on top of it. It worked, but he wished he had added less fruit. The fruit was a PITA for his small opening secondary vessel and the fruit flavor was really strong in the finished product.

I think I would opt for adding the maple syrup to the fermentor after primary fermentation. Confirm primary is over and maybe leave it 3 weeks to make sure the yeast has had a chance to do its thing on the sugar. Do you think the original got its banana and vanilla flavor from actual banana and vanilla? I am not a big fan of adding fruit and stuff to the fermentor because of contamination risk, but give it a shot. I had a colleague that brewed a batch with fruit, blueberry, I think. He washed/soaked the fruit in vodka before adding to the secondary and racking the beer on top of it. It worked, but he wished he had added less fruit. The fruit was a PITA for his small opening secondary vessel and the fruit flavor was really strong in the finished product.

Thanks Chris. To confirm, you would ferment for 3 weeks and then add the maple syrup? Tired Hands allegedly used banana puree.

My thought was to ferment for 3 weeks total, but you might want to check what others do with fruit or even specifically banana. If primary fermentation was over in 3 to 4 days, then it is on the fruit for 2 1/2 weeks.

It's possible some or all of the adjuncts were added after fermenting and filtering the beer so it remains sweet but I would first try fermenting everything out and see if you retain the right flavor and sweetness. Even if the maple syrup ferments out you're still putting a lot of sweet flavors into the beer.

I think the plan is ok for the syrup and bananas. I would not boil either of the spices as you'll lose the more delicate parts of the flavor and aroma. Cinnamon works well added at flameout or as you're cooling the wort. I typically add spices like a whirlpool addition. Vanilla is best added cold side. I would just slice open the pod and add it after fermentation winds down a few days before you bottle. Doing what you suggested would not ruin the beer but I would be surprised if Tired Hands follows a different approach for either spice. (They might add cinnamon cold side though.)

Back