Tips on modifying Ferocious IPA (Furious clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pencaps

Reaction score
Hi, folks. This weekend I'll be brewing the "Ferocious IPA" kit from Midwest, which is a Furious clone. My ideal IPA is tropical, west-coast style, so I figured on making some minor mods to the kit instructions.

As for malt, it came with 6lb gold LME, and 3.3lb amber LME. Instead of adding it all at the start, I was going to add all the amber at the start, then all the gold at 15 minutes. Would this be a good way to attempt the late malt addition method?

As for hops, the kit came with 1oz warrior, 2oz amarillo, 2oz simcoe, and 1oz ahtanum. The instructions say 1oz warrior at 60 min, then .2oz each of amarillo and simcoe at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 min. Then dry hop with 1oz each of amarillo, simcoe, and ahtanum.

I know this is probably a lot of hops already, but I decided to buy 1oz of citra to add to the kit. I figured on simply keeping the existing schedule the same, but adding the citra as follows: .25oz at 5 min, .25oz at 0 min, and .5oz in dry hop.

Hoping for thoughts on this schedule. Thanks very much in advance.

Some cool info if ya dont already know IPA was a beer that evolved from Long voyages across theocean to get to India and during the long voyage the beer its self would change flavor or go bad so brewers back shore would add lots and lots of hops to help preserve the beer during transport. Hence the IPA being very hoppy :)

Yep I'm a huge hophead, and was aware. I appreciate the info either way! :)

Mostly wondering if this schedule sounded good. I guess in particular, I was wondering if people would recommend shifting more of the dry hop volume to late additions (10, 5, or flameout).

The northern brewer version has 8.5 oz of dry hops!!! I think like 4 or 5 of Simcoe, 1 of Ahtanum, some Warrior, and Amarillo if I remember correctly.

I am brewing the AG version of Ferocious as we speak (mashing). I bought 2 more oz of Simcoe to add to the dry hop. Also added an oz of Amarillo for first wort hopping. And added 1 oz of roasted barley and 4 oz of crystal 80 to my mash. It seems the Ferocious is a little light in color, though I love all the Golden Promise malt in the kit.

My fingers are crossed.

The late addition of gold LME will be good I think. Although a little carmelization might be okay with the Furious IPA, since it has that sweet Scottish malt flavor.

Also on the citra. Its your beer, so if you really love Citra go for it. I like citra myself, but it has an overwhelming tropical flavor that I would not want in a Furious clone. Just my two pennies.

Back