Tips on brewing small trial batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarBully

Reaction score
Her everyone. I live in an apartment and that makes it a little harder to brew 5 gallon batches all the time there. Although I do have a place where I do brew 5 gallon batches, if like to be more productive in brewing small 1 gallon batches to work on recipes. I heard you can ferment in Carlo Rossi bottles. Any tips or jumping off points you'd like to share? Your responses are very much appreciated, thank you!

I just clicked the link and it worked for me.

As for a tip use a hop sock and/or strainer screen when you transfer to the fermenter to reduce the amount loss in the fermentor.

As someone that has brewed a handful of 1-gallon batches, I'd just chime in that its almost exactly the same amount of work to make 1 gallon as it is to make 3, 4, or 5 gallons. Just make sure that you really only want one gallon before proceeding. I've compromised recently by cutting my batches generally down to 3 gallons so that I can have a bit more diversity.

Well, it's not the amount of work that's the problem. It's the amount of room I have. In limited.

Glass apple juice jugs make great 1-gallon carboys. I have a handful of them and they serve a few uses in my operation.

I do 2 gallon batches of AG. Gives me 3 six packs Here is a video of my method. I've refined it a bit but it still the basic plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back