Tips for Using Oak spirals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
going to be making my first vino kit and have purchased some oak spirals to age it on...post fermentation

Are there any tips/tricks to get the most out of the spirals or do ya just toss em in and let them do their thing?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Toss them in and let them do their thing, it shouldn't take too long, sample regularly. I don't have experience with kits but have used spirals. How many gallons/litres is the kit? Use 1 spiral.

6gals -- using 2 spirals -- per recommendations.

I used oak spirals for the first time last year, on some Chardonnay I made from fresh juice, and was very happy with the results. I used French oak, medium toast, and left them in for 6 weeks (tasting every couple weeks). I used both spirals. Depending on what kind of oak you are using, you may not want to leave it in that long. I think I read somewhere that American oak needs very little time, maybe just a couple weeks.

Decided to go with a single American Oak Med toast spiral in my 6gal Trinity red blend kit.

Will report back once bulk and bottle aging complete --- like Sept2021 :)

Back