Tips for stopping fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1amberrenae

Reaction score
My setup to know what I am working with:
-I have a fridge that will hold kegs for dispensing cold beer.
-I have a cooler area that stays about 68 degrees for fermentators and storing extra kegs with beer waiting to be drank.

My issue is that the kegs being stored a while then tapped have continued to condition that they are overly foamy and create a mess to release the pressure.

I can sometimes use the fridge to cold crash the beer in a keg but I would need to pull the keg back out to store in the cooler, warming back up to ~70 degrees. - wouldn't i have the same problem that it will continue to carbonate once warmed back up? Is warning back up a good idea?

Further, I won't always have room in the fridge to cold crash every keg. - ideas to stop the conditioning or control the foam?

I'm trying to release pressure every few days but this creates uncertainty in my mind. And unreliable cuz I would have to remember to do this often.

You may have to explain your process a little better. You should never keg a beer before it is completely finished fermenting. Usually getting the same hydrometer reading over a 3 day period. If you are kegging your beer too soon then it definitely will continue to ferment and could over carbonate in the keg.

Cold liquids hold more CO2 in the liquid so your warm kegs will have more CO2 in the head space. This CO2 will be absorbed by the beer when you place the keg in your fridge. If you are force carbonating your warm kegs you will be using a different amount of pressure compared to carbonating a cold kege.

https://www.kegoutlet.com/keg-carbonation-chart.html
If you ever have a keg that is over carbonated you can just remove the gas and pour your beer until it is back to the level you desire.

^^^ This.

However, if one is kegging before fermentation ends on purpose, so the beer self carbonates, (spunding), there are two ways to control carbonation level; the easiest is to install spunding valves on kegs. A more precise way is to measure gravity and keg when the beer only has a little further to ferment, usually around .006-.008. Most people who spund probably use a combination of the two.

You may have to explain your process a little better. You should never keg a beer before it is completely finished fermenting. Usually getting the same hydrometer reading over a 3 day period. If you are kegging your beer too soon then it definitely will continue to ferment and could over carbonate in the keg.

Cold liquids hold more CO2 in the liquid so your warm kegs will have more CO2 in the head space. This CO2 will be absorbed by the beer when you place the keg in your fridge. If you are force carbonating your warm kegs you will be using a different amount of pressure compared to carbonating a cold kege.

https://www.kegoutlet.com/keg-carbonation-chart.html
If you ever have a keg that is over carbonated you can just remove the gas and pour your beer until it is back to the level you desire.
Thank you! Ha looks like I was over thinking this. I'll try measuring sg. Id like to use a refractometer to do such. Is there an issue with that?

e
^^^ This.

However, if one is kegging before fermentation ends on purpose, so the beer self carbonates, (spunding), there are two ways to control carbonation level; the easiest is to install spunding valves on kegs. A more precise way is to measure gravity and keg when the beer only has a little further to ferment, usually around .006-.008. Most people who spund probably use a combination of the two.
Sometimes I do like conditioning vs for carbonating. Something precise as in more predictable is what I'm looking for. I'll try this.

Sometimes I'm following directions for fermentation time. So looks like I need go by sg in all cases.

Thank you! Ha looks like I was over thinking this. I'll try measuring sg. Id like to use a refractometer to do such. Is there an issue with that?

With a refractometer, you'll need to use one of the Refractometer Calculators to get an estimate of the true SG (and OG). But even without a calculator, a refractometer is great for confirming that the gravity has stopped moving. Just be sure to measure 2-3 days apart after you think attenuation might be finished.

With a refractometer, you'll need to use one of the Refractometer Calculators to get an estimate of the true SG (and OG). But even without a calculator, a refractometer is great for confirming that the gravity has stopped moving. Just be sure to measure 2-3 days apart after you think attenuation might be finished.
Good point! Thank you. Im an engineer and I'm shocked at myself at missing this stuff.

Back